This taco salad recipe comes together in just 10 minutes with simple, fresh ingredients. Make taco salad with ground beef for a quick meal the whole family will enjoy.
Taco Salad Recipe
Dinner doesn’t get much easier than this! Cook up some seasoned beef, spoon it over lettuce, and pile high with all of your desired toppings.
You can even create your own tortilla bowls right at home in about 15 minutes!
Top your ultimate taco salad bowl with your favorite dressing, or make your own by whisking together some ranch and taco sauce.
I also have a trim taco salad if you want something delicious and light.
Simple Taco Salad Ingredients
In the recipe card below, you will find a long list of topping ideas to get you started.
What makes this the best taco salad recipe is that you can add as much or as little of whatever you would like!
Instead of grabbing canned and jarred versions of everything, why not recreate some of them at home?
Ultimate Taco Salad Tips and Tricks
- Easy meal prep. Cook a big batch of ground beef in the crockpot, then divide it into 1-pound portions and freeze.
When you need a quick dinner, thaw a portion in the refrigerator the morning of and reheat it for a simple taco salad.
- Protect your skin! If you will be adding jalapeños or other hot peppers to your meal, be sure to wear food prep gloves.
The oils from the pepper skin can cause irritations when transferred to the face, and it’s easy to miss a few spots with just soap and water.
- Serving guests? Set up a buffet-style table with all of the toppings and sauces on platters or in individual bowls.
You can prep everything for this taco salad recipe in advance, store it in the refrigerator, and pull it out when it’s time to eat.
Taco Salad Recipe FAQ
Romaine or iceberg are the most common choices since both are crunchy and hold up well under all of the toppings.
Chop or tear the lettuce into bite-sized pieces for the ultimate taco salad, and be sure to run the greens through a spinner before using.
Yes! In fact, you can triple or quadruple my best taco salad recipe to accommodate any number of people.
Simply adjust the amount of ground beef and seasoning accordingly and scale up the amounts for the toppings.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Salad Recipes
Best Taco Salad Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning, or 1 envelope
- 1/2 cup water
- head lettuce
- Fiesta corn
- black beans
- shredded mild cheddar cheese , or Mexican blend cheese
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro, optional
- black olives, sliced
- green pepper. , diced
- jalapeno pepper, sliced
- red or green onions, sliced
- Brown ground beef until no pink remains, drain if necessary
- Return to pan and add 2 tablespoons (or 1 envelope) taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water
- Cook until all liquid is absorbed
- Serve on lettuce with toppings of your choice or serve in a taco bowl
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published May 2021, updated and republished May 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.