This taco salad recipe comes together in just 10 minutes with simple, fresh ingredients. Make it for a quick meal the whole family will enjoy.
Dinner doesn’t get much easier than this! Cook up some seasoned beef, spoon it over lettuce, and pile high with all of your desired toppings.
You can even create your own tortilla bowls right at home in about 15 minutes.
Top your taco salad bowl with your favorite dressing, or make your own by whisking together some ranch and taco sauce.
Looking for more no fuss meal ideas? Try these Mexican-inspired sloppy joes or my spaghetti carbonara made with just five ingredients or I have a trim taco salad if you want something delicious and light.
Taco Salad Recipe – Tips and Tricks
- Easy meal prep. Cook a big batch of ground beef for salad in the crockpot, then divide into 1-pound portions and freeze. When you need a quick dinner, thaw a portion in the refrigerator the morning of and reheat for your taco salad bowl.
- Protect your skin! If you will be adding jalapeños or other hot peppers to your meal, be sure to wear food prep gloves. The oils from the skin can cause irritations when transferred to the face, and it’s easy to miss a few spots with just soap and water.
- Serving guests? Set up a buffet style table with all of the toppings and sauces on platters or in individual bowls. You can prep everything in advance, store it in the refrigerator, and pull it out when it’s time to eat.
In the recipe card below, you will find a long list of topping ideas to get you started.
The great thing about this taco salad recipe is that you can add as much or as little of whatever you would like!
Instead of grabbing canned and jarred versions of everything, why not recreate some of them at home?
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
What’s the best lettuce for ground beef salad?
Romaine or iceberg are the most common choices since both are crunchy and hold up well under all of the toppings.
Chop or tear the lettuce into bite-sized pieces and be sure to run it through a spinner before using.
Can I double this taco salad recipe?
Yes! In fact, you can triple or quadruple it to accommodate any number of people.
Simply adjust the amount of ground beef and seasoning accordingly and scale up the amounts for the toppings.
What else can I serve with this?
Grab some beers or mix up a pitcher of margaritas and you’re ready to go!
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Ultimate Taco Salad Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning, or 1 envelope
- 1/2 cup water
- head lettuce
- Fiesta corn
- black beans
- shredded mild cheddar cheese , or Mexican blend cheese
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro, optional
- black olives, sliced
- green pepper. , diced
- jalapeno pepper, sliced
- red or green onions, sliced
- Brown ground beef until no pink remains, drain if necessary
- Return to pan and add 2 tablespoons (or 1 envelope) taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water
- Cook until all liquid is absorbed
- Serve on lettuce with toppings of your choice or serve in a taco bowl
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published May 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.