Cucumber Tomato Salad is the best of summers harvest. Crisp cucumbers and luscious tomatoes tossed in a bright and creamy lemon poppy seed dressing. This is my newest obsession.
Recipes like Cucumber Tomato Salad
Summer is a perfect time to make veggie salads. Vegetables are plentiful at the farmer’s market or in our gardens.
So, if you want to try a few more of my favorite recipes after you’ve made this cucumber and tomato salad, here are a few ideas.
Creamy Cucumber Salad comes together in 10 minutes and has cucumbers, red onions, and a spectacular poppy seed dressing.
Or, this Cucumber Vinegar Salad is a southern classic. It has a delicious sweet vinegar marinade that is sure to be a hit.
Cucumber Tomato Salad – Recipe Notes
- Cucumbers have a tendency to release a lot of liquid. To avoid a watery salad you can prep your cukes ahead. Simply, place cucumbers in a serving dish. Sprinkle it with 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. Pour off the liquid (do not rinse). Do not add more salt. This will be plenty.
- We don’t peel the cucumbers when we make this salad, but if you want to, you can peel them before you slice them.
- If you would like to make this salad ahead, prepare the dressing in a mason jar and toss the salad with it the day you plan to serve it.
Watch the recipe video
If you want to see how I make this Cucumber Tomato Salad, check out the recipe video for step by step directions.
Frequently asked question
How to choose the best tomatoes for salad
When choosing the best tomatoes for this Cucumber Tomato Salad, look for tomatoes with no blemishes or bruises.
They should be a deep, bright red color. If it has a pale color or is mottled with green, the flavor won’t be the best. Be sure to avoid any tomatoes with small black spots on them.
Types of cucumbers
There are many different types of cucumbers you can use in this cucumber and tomato salad. I’ve used English Cucumbers because they have fewer seeds.
English cucumbers are often called seedless cucumbers. But, you will also have these varieties available.
- Armenian cucumbers have soft skin and seeds.
- Garden cucumbers are the most common and have large seeds.
- Gherkins are small and are often used for pickling.
- Kirby cucumbers are often referred to as pickling cucumbers.
How long do cucumbers need to marinate?
For the best flavor, allow the vegetables in this Cucumber Tomato Salad to marinate for at least 20 minutes.
You can let them marinate for up to twenty-four hours in the refrigerator if you want to make this salad the day before.
What should I serve with this salad?
This Cucumber Tomato Salad is a perfect summer salad to go with any grilled meat. So, the next time you are using the grill, consider having this as a side dish.
If you store this salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator, it should last up to a week. After that, the tomatoes will start to get soft.
If you remove the tomatoes, you can store this salad for closer to two weeks. Just chop fresh tomatoes right before you want to serve it again.
Cucumber tomato salad varieties
There are many different things you can add to this summer salad. Why not try adding chopped avocado, corn, chopped chives, or even chunks of watermelon. You won’t believe how delicious it is!
- Give it a Mexican twist by adding bell peppers and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Make it a Mediterranian Cucumber Tomato Salad by using a lemon and olive oil dressing instead of poppy seeds.
- For a Greek Cucumber Tomato Salad, add black olives and crumbled feta cheese.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Easy Salad Recipes
Cucumber Tomato Salad + Video
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon extra light olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 English cucumbers, cut into half coins
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- Combine lemon juice, sugar, olive oil, poppy seeds, mustard, garlic, salt, and onion powder in a large bowl. Whisk well until dressing is completely combined.
- Add cucumbers, tomatoes, and onion to the bowl. Toss to combine.
- Chill until ready to serve. Enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published July 2016, updated and republished July 2020.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.