Learn how to cook ground beef in the crock pot for easy meal prep. Add a few seasonings, and hours later you will have tender, flavorful slow cooker ground beef!
Ground Beef in Crock Pot
Just stir together the spices and ground beef in the crock pot, then wait until it’s done!
I also recommend stirring everything occasionally, but make sure the lid isn’t off for too long. Once it’s done, drain off any excess fat and portion out as needed.
You’ll also find plenty more ground beef recipes at the bottom of the post!
Tips for Cooking Ground Beef in Crock Pot
- Prevent dry meat. If you’re using a leaner blend such as 93%, add about ½ cup of water for moisture.
- Adjust amounts as needed. You can make up to 5 pounds at a time, but the more you make, the longer it will take to cook.
For smaller batches, use a 2 quart crockpot so it can come to temperature quickly.
- Change up the spices. If you make a lot of Mexican recipes, make ground beef in the crock pot with taco seasoning instead!
Or, divide the meat once cooked and season each batch based on how you’ll be using it.
- Like to meal prep? Set aside some free time to make shredded chicken as well!
Slow Cooker Ground Beef FAQ
Typically, beef or pork can turn out dry or not as tender if they aren’t browned first. However, this applies more to roasts or whole cuts of meat.
While you can certainly brown it partially on the stove first, that defeats the purpose of cooking ground beef in the crock pot!
Leaner blends require more moisture, so make sure to add enough liquid. Water is fine, but beef stock can add extra flavor. Plus, it contains collagen which will keep everything tender.
If you’re using a fattier blend, it will do better on the Low setting for a longer period of time.
Also, make sure you’re using the appropriate size appliance. Small amounts in a larger sized pot will be done faster and tend to come out dry.
Absolutely, which is why you should always adjust times and amounts as needed. Smaller amounts of slow cooker hamburger only need a few hours before they are done.
Only if you are using a pan that isn’t non-stick and browning it on the stove.
When cooking ground beef in the crock pot, moisture builds up in the pot and combines with the natural fats that are released so there is no need to use any oil.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
More Easy Ground Beef Recipes
How To Cook Ground Beef In A Crock Pot
- 2 pounds ground beef, I use 85% lean
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine ingredients in a crock pot. Stir and combine. Cook on high 2-3 hours or low 4-6 hours, stirring occasionally. Drain if necessary.
- Divide into portions, place in freezer safe resealable zip top bags. Freeze for several months.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published March 2015, updated and republished March 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.