Summer Vegetable Salad has a deliciously tangy basil vinaigrette. This vegetarian salad recipe is perfect for a summer side or potluck dish!
Garden overflowing? Go a little crazy at the farmer’s market? Use up summer’s bounty to create this fresh, crunchy summer salad in no time at all!
One of the best things about summer is the prolific amount of fresh produce that is everywhere.
Whether you hit up your own garden, your local farmer’s market, or even your favorite grocery store, you’re bound to be enraptured with the bright colors of fresh summer vegetables.
Summer Vegetable Salad
I am the queen of overbuying produce, and I also despise throwing away food.
I ran into this situation this week and rather than eventually throw everything out because my wallet is apparently bigger than my stomach.
I remembered this amazing summer vegetable salad that my favorite Italian deli makes in the summer. Its a very simple salad, but completely full of fresh summer flavor.
While I was never sure what they used in their dressing, I opted to make a light, tangy dressing of basil, vinegar and a touch of Dijon mustard.
Tips and Tricks
- This recipe is good for almost anything you have around. In this version, I used grape tomatoes, corn, red onion and cucumber, but yellow squash, zucchini, etc. also work.
- To make the corn, my favorite trick is to microwave corn on the cob in the husk. Use a sharp kitchen knife to slice off the end of the cob, close to the base. Carefully slide the corn out of the husk- no shucking required and NO stray corn silk!
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
What you will need for making Summer Vegetable Salad
- Salad Bowl
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other favorite summer salad recipes
Summer Vegetable Salad
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cucumbers, quartered lengthwise
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 ears Corn on the cob, steamed (see Notes) and removed from cob
For the Dressing
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large salad bowl, add the tomatoes, cucumbers, onion and corn.
- In a separate small bowl, add the vinegar, oil, mustard and basil. Season with salt and pepper, then whisk to combine until emulsified.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and gently toss to evenly coat the vegetables.
- I like to microwave corn on the cob (fastest way to make it), but you could also grill it or cook it on the stovetop. Or, use canned or thawed from frozen, whichever you prefer.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published August 2018. Updated and republished June 2022.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for your support; it allows us to keep creating new recipes.