Spaghetti Carbonara is a super simple, creamy Italian pasta recipe that takes 15 minutes and just 5 ingredients to throw together. Now that is an easy dinner!
If you love creamy pasta dishes, you’ll for sure love this simple pasta recipe. You won’t believe how easy this dish is to make! All it takes is 5 simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
Spaghetti Carbonara With Bacon
This recipe is seriously the simplest. You can have this on the table in less than 20 minutes. To start, you’ll boil water for your pasta and then cook up the bacon and garlic. While the pasta cooks, just grate the Parmigiano Reggiano (this is seriously the best, but you can use Parmesan or any other hard Italian cheese) and whisk it with the egg and egg yolk in a large bowl.
Before draining your pasta, it’s very important to save some of that starchy salted cooking water. I like to just tilt the pot and scoop about 1 cup out with a mug. I actually do this for every pasta dish. The starchy water helps the sauce really cling to the noodles (especially cream based sauces) and reach the perfect consistency.
How to Make Carbonara Sauce
So, after straining the noodles, you’ll place them in the bowl of whisked eggs and Parmigiano and toss quickly. As you’re tossing you’ll see the egg/sauce start to cook and become thicker and that’s when you’ll add in a little pasta water at a time while mixing until you get the desired consistency of sauce. I added about a half cup. Then throw in the bacon and serve up the most delicious creamy pasta. Of course, the toppings are optional but who doesn’t want more cheese?!
If you’re looking for an easy at home dinner date meal, this Spaghetti Carbonara is sure impress.
Carbonara Recipe Tips
- Heavily salt the water. Pasta water should taste like the ocean.
- Use Parmigiano Reggiano for the best flavor. If you can’t find that, you can substitute fresh grated Parmesan cheese. This is not the best place for the canned grated Parm stuff, you know what I mean?
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Easy Pasta Dinners
- 8 ounces dry spaghetti
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, freshly grated (plus more for garnish)
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- flat leaf parsley, minced (optional)
- Cook spaghetti in a large pot 1/2 filled with heavily salted water (about 1 1/2 tablespoons) as directed on box. Reserve about 1 cup starchy pasta water before draining.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon over medium heat in a medium size skillet, until almost crisp. Add the garlic for the last 30 seconds. Drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk Parmigiano and eggs together. Set aside.
- After draining the pasta, add it to the egg mixture and toss quickly with tongs to coat the noodles. Add a little starchy pasta water at a time to achieve desired consistency (about 1/4- 1/2 cup). Mix in the bacon/garlic and serve immediately topped with fresh parsley and more Parmigiano.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published November 2017.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.