Our Chipotle Rice Recipe with cilantro and lime tastes just like the restaurant version! Learn how to make Chipotle rice that is fluffy and flavorful in just 30 minutes!
Chipotle Rice Recipe
While we certainly love to eat out, it’s just as satisfying to recreate our favorite dishes at home — and for a fraction of the cost!
Chipotle cilantro lime rice is a staple for burritos and bowls, but it goes so well with so many other recipes too.
In just 30 minutes, you’ll have enough flavorful, fluffy rice to feed the whole family. Plus, you only need a handful of ingredients to make Chipotle lime rice!
Have you had a chance to try my other Chipotle copycat recipes yet?
How to Make Chipotle Rice
- In a medium saucepan over high heat bring water to a boil.
- Add rice, bay leaf, and salt. Stir to coat, then return to a boil.
- Once it is a full rolling boil, reduce to simmer and cover for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and leave covered for 5 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. Fluff Chipotle rice with a fork, then add the oil, cilantro, and juices. Gently stir to combine before serving.
Cooking Tips for Fluffy Chipotle Rice
The key to making this Chipotle rice recipe is making sure that the grains are light and fluffy with no lumps.
Here are a few simple tips you can follow when making this recipe to make sure that happens:
- Clean the rice. Put your uncooked rice in a large bowl filled with cold water. Using your hands, swish it around.
Then, strain the rice through a colander to remove the cloudy water which contains excess starch.
- Keep it on low. Do NOT try to cook Chipotle rice on high. The grains will not be cooked through before the water has evaporated.
- Let it sit. When the rice is done, allow it to sit for at least 5 minutes with the lid on before you finish the Chipotle rice recipe.
This step allows the rice to steam, which ensures that it is nice and fluffy.
Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice FAQ
Yes, there is rice bran oil in the original Chipotle rice recipe. If you cannot find this ingredient, simply use any flavorless oil instead.I usually use canola oil when I make my Chipotle cilantro lime rice. For a heart-healthy choice, opt for olive oil.
If your rice is clumping together rather than being light and fluffy, you may be stirring it wrong. Never stir cooked rice with a spoon!Always fluff it with a fork instead. This is one of the most important steps in this Chipotle lime rice recipe. Stirring activates the starch and will make your rice gummy.
Storing and Reheating
Transfer leftover Chipotle cilantro lime rice to an airtight container or Ziploc bag.
It will keep for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator, or you can freeze cooked rice for up to 6 months.
To reheat, add Chipotle lime rice to a pan on the stove along with 2 tablespoons of water for every cup of rice. Heat until warmed through, stirring occasionally to break up the grains.
You can also reheat it in the microwave if you prefer. I still recommend sprinkling some water over the top so it doesn’t dry out.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Mexican Recipes
Chipotle Rice Recipe + Video
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup long-grain jasmine rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, or any flavorless oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- In a medium saucepan over high heat bring water to a boil. Add rice, bay leaf and salt. Stir to coat rice. Return to a boil. Once it is a full rolling boil, reduce to simmer and cover for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, leave covered for 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf. Fluff rice with a fork, add the oil, cilantro, and juices. Stir to combine.
- Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published September 2012, updated and republished June 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.