This Strawberry Dump Cake recipe is one of the easiest dessert recipes I have ever made. All you need are five simple ingredients and a few minutes of time. And, the end result is a delicious dessert that everyone will love.
Strawberry Dump Cake
So, you may have heard this Strawberry Dump Cake recipe referred to as a Canned Strawberry Pie Filling Cake. If you have, they are the same dessert known by two different names.
I’m not sure who decided to try dumping a bunch of ingredients in one pan and baking them. But, they were absolutely brilliant whoever they were.
If you’re short on time and need a quick dessert, you can have this easy easy Strawberry Dump Cake recipe ready to go in the oven in just five minutes.
How can you make a Strawberry Dump Cake?
For this recipe, you start with a box of white cake mix, two cans of strawberry pie filling, a little butter and sugar, and some fresh strawberries.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the pie filling, spread it in the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle the cake mix over the pie filling.
- Drizzle the cake mix with butter.
- Sprinkle the sugar over top (this will make a yummy sweet crisp top).
- Then top it all with fresh strawberries.
If you want to make it a little bit easier, you can leave out the fresh strawberries and the sugar if you want to. Or, you could substitute another type of fresh berries if you happen to have blueberries or raspberries instead.
You can always use a combination of two different fruits as well. So, try fresh sliced peaches on top for a peach strawberry dump cake. Or, why not try one can of peach pie filling and one can of strawberry pie filling. There are so many different combinations to try.
Can I use a low sugar cake mix?
Yes, if you want to cut the sugar in this easy dump cake recipe, you can use a low-sugar cake mix instead of the traditional white cake mix that I used. It will work just as well and the sugar will be lower for those that are watching their sugar intake.
Can I make Chocolate Strawberry Dump Cake?
If you want to make this Strawberry Dump Cake recipe with a box of chocolate cake mix, you can do that. You can also use a box of yellow cake mix if that’s what you have on hand. Or, why not try Devil’s Food Cake or Red Velvet Cake for a truly decadent chocolate dessert?
Strawberry Dump Cake in the Crockpot
While I made this recipe in the oven, you can make this Canned Strawberry Pie Filling Cake in your Crockpot if you want to. You follow the same basic process.
You grease the Crockpot and then follow the same order. Pie filling, then cake mix, then butter and sugar and strawberries. Then, you cover it and cook on low for four hours. Or, cook on high for two hours.
Toppings for strawberry dump cake
How can I store leftovers?
If you have leftovers when you make this Strawberry Dump Cake recipe, it’s very simple to store them. Just cover the pan tightly and place it in the refrigerator for up to three days.
You can leave it on the counter for one to two days if you plan on eating the rest quickly.
If you want to store this for longer than three days, you can freeze it for up to three months.
Make sure that it is in a freezer-proof container and is tightly covered. Then, just defrost the dump cake in the refrigerator when you want to serve it.
If you want to enjoy your dump cake warm rather than cold or room temperature, you can reheat it in the microwave for about a minute. To reheat the entire cake, place it in the oven at 350F for about 20 minutes. Take it out and then serve it warm with your favorite ice cream.
More dump cake recipes
If you liked this Canned Strawberry Pie Filling Cake, you might want to try a few other dump cake recipes.
What you will need to make Strawberry Dump Cake:
- 9×13 Baking Dish –
I have my favorites and this set is one of them. The 9×13 is perfect
for casseroles and the smaller size is awesome for making 1/2 a
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Strawberry Dump Cake + Video
- 42 ounces strawberry pie filling, 2 21-ounce cans
- 1 box white cake mix or yellow cake mix
- 1 cup butter, 2 sticks, melted
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 pound sliced fresh strawberries, divided
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with butter or spray it with nonstick baking spray.
- Add the strawberry pie filling to the bottom of the baking dish, and using a rubber spatula, spread it evenly over the surface of the dish.
- Sprinkle the cake mix on top of the strawberry pie filling, distribute evenly. Shake the pan, to make sure the cake mix is spread evenly.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the top of the cake mix, try to distribute it evenly.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the melted butter.
- Scatter about half of the strawberry slices over the top of the sugar.
- Bake the Strawberry Dump Cake in the preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Start checking on the cake after 40 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it just slightly cool on a cooling rack.
- Scoop cake into bowls, top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Garnish with remaining fresh sliced strawberries. Serve warm.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.