Blueberry dump cake is the easiest cake recipe you’ll ever make. It’s moist and delicious! Make this 4-ingredient recipe for dessert tonight!
What is dump cake?
When you need a “no-brainer” dessert recipe, look no further than dump cake. Baking this sweet treat is simpler than you could ever imagine!
They require 3 or 4 ingredients, and 5 minutes to prep it for baking.
Making the cake looks like this:
Dump – Add pie filling, cake mix, and cubes of butter to a cake pan. Plus, fresh fruit for a little extra flavor.
The secret of this dessert is its convenience factor. You don’t even have to stir the ingredients together – it’s amazing!
It really is the best dessert for a busy home cook to make.
Plus, it’s a recipe that you can customize to your heart’s desire.
Dump cake can be made using any flavor of cake mix and pie filling that you like. You can even make them sugar-free!
Making blueberry dump cake
As mentioned above, you only need 4 ingredients to make this cake recipe. Even better, it doesn’t matter what brand or type of cake mix you use.
Gluten-free and sugar-free cake mixes and pie fillings work just as perfectly as traditional ones do.
- Cake mix – I use white cake mix. It’s also delicious with yellow cake.
- Blueberry pie filling
- Butter – I prefer to use unsalted butter, but salted will work
- Fresh blueberries – It is best not to use frozen berries unless you thaw them first. Otherwise, the excess water may cause your cake to be soggy.
Cooking tips for the perfect cake
Making a blueberry dump cake is nearly impossible to mess up. However, to guarantee the best results, here are three important tips.
- Grease the pan. Be sure to grease the pan well with butter or non-stick cooking spray. Otherwise, you will definitely have a difficult time removing slices from the pan.
- Preheat the oven. If the oven isn’t hot enough, the cake will not bake evenly. It’s not a happy experience, and not a tasty cake, either. Please trust me on this.
- Add ingredients in the order shown in the recipe.
It may not seem like the order of ingredients should matter, but it truly does make a difference.
- First, spread the blueberry filling into the bottom of the pan.
- Next, sprinkle all of the cake mix over the filling. Be sure to cover as much of the filling as you can.
- Scatter the cubes of butter evenly over the surface of the cake mix.
- Lastly, sprinkle the fresh blueberries over the top
Science is the reason that the order matters. Heavier ingredients (like the fresh blueberries) will sink during baking.
As a result, placing them at the top ensures that you will have blueberries throughout the cake, rather than all sitting on the bottom.
- Can I make a crock pot dump cake?
Make the recipe exactly as shown below, except place everything into your crock pot instead of a pan.
To make it this way, grease the bottom and sides of the crock pot, then spread the blueberry pie filling in the bottom. Then, top with the cake mix, the butter, and then the fresh blueberries.
Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
- How should I serve it?
Blueberry dump cake is very similar to blueberry cobbler, at least in terms of texture. It’s perfectly delicious warm or cold.
I like to serve it individually in bowls, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream over the top.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Check out more of our favorite cake recipes:
Blueberry Dump Cake + Video
Blueberry Dump Cake
- 42 ounces blueberry pie filling, 2 21-ounce cans
- 1 box white cake mix , or yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter, sliced into thin pats (about 48), 1 stick
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with butter or spray it with nonstick baking spray.
- Add the blueberry pie filling to the bottom of the baking dish, and using a rubber spatula, spread it evenly over the surface of the dish.
- Sprinkle the cake mix on top of the blueberry filling, distribute evenly. Shake the pan, to make sure the cake mix is spread evenly.
- Place pats of butter evenly over the top of the cake mix.
- Bake the Blueberry Dump Cake in the preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Start checking on the cake after 40 minutes.
- Remove cake from the oven and let it just slightly cool on a cooling rack.
- Scoop cake into bowls, top with vanilla ice cream. Serve warm.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.