Oreo Dump Cake + Video
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Oreo Dump Cake is so decadent and absolutely delicious. It tastes like a brownie mixed with cookies and cream! Simple to make with just a baking pan, Oreo cookie dump cake is sure to be a new favorite.
Oreo Dump Cake
If you have a sweet tooth, this delicious dessert is just for you. After seeing this Oreo dump cake recipe go viral on TikTok, I knew that I had to make one for myself.
If you’ve never made a dump cake before, this easy dessert requires no mixing at all.
You simply dump all of the ingredients into a baking pan and bake. How easy is that? Check out more of our Dump Cake Recipes HERE.
Why is it called dump cake?
As I mentioned, this style of dessert is made by dumping the ingredients into a pan and baking without mixing.
Unlike traditional cakes that require mixing bowls and spoons, all you need to make this simple dessert is a 9 x 13 baking dish and a few basic ingredients you probably have in the kitchen already.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Cake mix – If you don’t have devil’s food cake mix, you can use a plain chocolate cake mix instead.
Or, you can make it with a yellow cake mix if you want something that is less chocolatey.
- Oreo cookies – You’ll need one regular-sized package of classic Oreos. Don’t use Double Stuf, as the extra filling will affect the flavor of the dessert.
- Sweetened condensed milk – Don’t substitute this ingredient! It’s essential for getting the right texture in your Oreo cookie dump cake.
- Pudding mix – Use chocolate fudge instant pudding mix and not the kind that needs to be cooked on the stovetop first.
- Whipped topping – You’ll add this to homemade cream cheese frosting for a light, airy texture.
As an optional topping, you can also use extra Oreos and a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Troubleshooting: Dump cake still powdery on top
If you take your Oreo dump cake out of the oven and notice that it still has cake mix powder on top, you can fix that easily.
All you need to do is to add a little bit of butter to the top and bake it for a few more minutes.
Just be sure to check it after a minute to be sure that the butter has melted into all of the areas where you saw the cake mix.
Different Toppings for Dump Cake
Of course, this Oreo cake doesn’t need any topping at all. It’s absolutely decadent on its own straight from the oven.
But, if you do want to add a few toppings to this chocolate dump cake you can certainly do that.
- Crushed Oreo’s
- Vanilla ice cream
- Chopped nuts
- Caramel sauce
- Hot chocolate
Storing and Reheating Oreo Cookie Dump Cake
You will want to eat this dessert warm so that it is soft and creamy.
Because it contains dairy, this Oreo cookie dump cake should be stored in the refrigerator. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or foil.
Once chilled, the bottom layer of the cake begins to harden. No worries — you can heat individual portions in the microwave for a few seconds until warmed again!
Oreo Dump Cake Recipe FAQ
Dump cake will take on the flavor of whatever ingredients you’re using. So, an apple dump cake will taste like apples.
And, this Oreo Dump Cake tastes like chocolate Oreos.
This dessert is somewhere between a cobbler and a cake. It’s very sweet and decadent. And, a little bit goes a long way.
I’ve seen a version of this dessert that uses only 5 ingredients. Basically, it does not use the pudding mix, cream cheese, or powdered sugar.
Trust me, this Oreo dump cake recipe is so much better. And, it’s definitely worth adding a few extra ingredients for the final version.
If you want a few more suggestions for recipes that use Oreo cookies, why not try one of these?
Oreo Cookies and Cream Trifle features Oreo chunks topped with a decadent Oreo cream, then a simple and delicious chocolate pudding layer, topped with even more Oreo chunks, milk chocolate, and another layer of whipped cream!
My Slutty Brownies recipe is ready in only an hour and combines brownies, cookies, and caramel all in one delicious bite.
And for a true showstopper, you can’t top a No Bake Oreo Cheesecake! It looks like it came straight from the bakery and comes out perfect every time.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Other Dump Cake Recipes
Oreo Dump Cake + Video
- 14.3 ounces Oreo cookies, (not the double stuffed or family size)
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 3.9 ounces chocolate fudge instant pudding mix
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 8 ounces whipped topping, thawed
- 15.25 ounces devil’s food cake mix, or same amount of chocolate cake mix
- ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 tablespoon slices
- vanilla ice cream, optional
- crushed Oreo cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9”x13” baking dish until well coated, and set aside.
- Place 24 Oreo cookies in a single layer in the bottom of the dish. Use more if needed to fully cover the bottom. Top with sweetened condensed milk.
- Sprinkle chocolate fudge pudding mix evenly over the condensed milk.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar until thoroughly combined. Use a silicone spatula to fold in the whipped cream until well combined. Spread mixture over the pudding mix layer.It’s ok if this mixes slightly with the layer underneath.
- Add the devil’s food cake mix next in an even layer. Do not mix.
- Top with slices of butter and bake for 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow cake to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm topped with scoop of ice cream and crushed Oreos, if desired.
- To crush the cookies for additional topping, seal them in a Ziploc bag and roll a rolling pin over the bag, or pulse them in a food processor.
- You could also top the dessert with caramel for additional flavor. I wouldn’t use a lot though because this dessert is already sweet on its own.
- Once the dump cake starts to cool, the bottom of the cake begins to harden. I recommend transferring the entire cake to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for 1-3 days.
- You can reheat dump cake in the microwave on High power in 30 second intervals until it reaches the desired temperature.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published March 2021, updated and republished 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.
Would this work using homemade whipped cream from heavy cream instead of the whipped topping?
I was wondering the same thing, I want to use unsweetened whipped cream to cut back a bit on the sugar overload and reduce the sugar in the cream cheese. Did you try it??
This cake was so rich and sweet. Anyone who likes oreo or chocolate would absolutely love this. It’s very nice paired with an ice cream of your choice too!