Southern sweet potato casserole is rich and creamy, just like grandma used to make! Add a pecan streusel topping for extra crunch in each bite.
Southern Sweet Potato Casserole – Tips and Tricks
- Use room temp ingredients. Allow the eggs and cream to warm on the counter while you boil the potatoes.
This will help them blend easier into the base and prevent any texture changes when added to the hot potatoes.
- Swap out the nuts. While pecans are the classic choice, the topping would be equally delicious with walnuts instead.
- Prep it in advance. For a make ahead sweet potato casserole, prepare the base the day before and put it in your baking dish.
Then, bring it to room temperature the day of, add the streusel topping, and bake.
- Make it extra Southern. Add a splash of your favorite bourbon to the base instead of vanilla extract. Avoid blends or bottom shelf for the best flavor.
- Want to save some time? Cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave instead! Leave them whole and unpeeled, but rinse them to remove any dirt.
Wrap each one in a paper towel while wet and microwave until soft – start with 10 minutes and add more time if needed. Then, slice open and scoop out the centers.
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
Can I still add marshmallows on top?
Sure! Sprinkle them over the top during the last 10 minutes of baking so they don’t burn. Or, try my Boston Market copycat recipe instead.
How long does pecan sweet potato casserole last in the refrigerator?
If you manage to have any leftovers at all, transfer them to a sealed container and enjoy them within 3 to 5 days.
You can warm them quickly in the microwave, but I recommend popping this dish back in the oven so the topping can crisp back up. If you have an air fryer, you can reheat individual portions in there as well!
Can you freeze southern sweet potato casserole?
Follow the make-ahead instructions above, then wrap the dish tightly with plastic wrap and foil. Place in the freezer for up to 3 months and thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Then, prepare the streusel topping and sprinkle it over the top before baking.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
MORE DESSERT RECIPES
Southern Sweet Potato Casserole + Video
- 5 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ pieces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 9″x13″ casserole dish.
- Fill a large pot with sweet potato pieces and water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until fork tender. Drain potatoes and place back into pot. Mash potatoes with a potato masher or blend with an electric mixer, until mostly smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except topping ingredients). Add the eggs last so they don’t cook when they hit the hot potatoes. Mix until combined.
- Spoon the sweet potatoes into the casserole dish and smooth out. Set aside.
- Prepare the topping: In a medium bowl, combine the topping ingredients and mix with a fork until crumbly.
- Sprinkle the topping on the sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the streusel is crisp and golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published September 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.