No Bake Peanut Butter Bars are a delicious treat for peanut butter lovers! This simple dessert has a scrumptious crunchy peanut butter base topped with a glorious chocolate ganache that will blow your mind!! Make this easy peanut butter bars recipe for your next picnic or potluck.
No Bake Peanut Butter Bars
There is nothing I love more than no-bake desserts in the middle of the summer. I don’t like to wait in front of a hot oven for dessert, do you?
No bake chocolate peanut butter bars come together without turning on the stove and with just 5 ingredients. That is my kind of recipe!
Have you tried my No-Bake Strawberry Cheesecake yet? It’s the perfect seasonal dessert to kick off summer.
Or try our scotcheroos — they’re loaded with chocolate, peanut butter, and butterscotch!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Graham Cracker Crumbs – You can make your own from graham crackers, but they really need to be fine crumbs to work properly in this peanut butter bars recipe.
A food processor will get the job done right.
- Peanut Butter – Use creamy or crunchy peanut butter for no bake peanut butter chocolate bars — it really depends on the texture you prefer.
If you use natural peanut butter, the bars will need to be refrigerated to stay firm.
- Chocolate Chips – I think milk chips taste really nice with the peanut butter, almost like a Reese’s cup!
Feel free to use semisweet or dark chocolate if you prefer.
- Powdered Sugar – This adds sweetness and helps get the consistency just right.
You cannot substitute another type of sugar — it must be powdered for this peanut butter bars recipe to work!
Tips for Making No Baked Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- Use a rubber or silicone spatula.
These ingredients are sticky!! Spatulas are sturdy enough for stirring but easy to wipe clean so every last bit gets in the pan.
For even easier spread, spritz the spatula with cooking spray first.
- Line your pan for easy slicing.
You can use aluminum foil or parchment — just tear off a long enough piece so some hangs over the longer sides of the pan.
Once the no bake peanut butter bars are set, lift them straight out of the pan and onto a cutting board.
Run a large knife under hot water, then dry completely. It will glide through the dessert easily, creating perfectly clean squares!
- Plan ahead.
Once assembled, no bake peanut butter chocolate bars need to chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 to 2 hours to fully set.
Feel free to make them the night before or morning of a party so it’s one less thing to worry about!
Peanut Butter Bars Recipe FAQ
Yes! If you don’t have a microwave, you can still make these no bake peanut butter chocolate bars.
Melt ingredients together as directed using a nonstick pan on the stove. Keep the heat on low so nothing burns, and stir constantly.
If you want to make these no bake peanut butter bars a little bit healthier, you can use a one-to-one stevia blend instead of the powdered sugar.
That will help cut the sugar content. And, you can use PB2 made into peanut butter to cut the calories and the fat. It’s still a delicious treat!
You will need to have some type of cracker or cookie crumb for the base of these crunchy peanut butter bars.
If you prefer not to use graham crackers, you can try any of the following instead:Nilla Wafers
Chocolate wafer cookies
Nutter Butter cookies (for the REAL peanut butter lover!)
And, you can make gluten free peanut butter bars by using gluten-free graham crackers.
Or, for a slightly different taste, you can try crushed pretzels for a pretzel crust — the salty and sweet combination is delicious!!
Storing and Freezing Crunchy Peanut Butter Bars
You will want to keep no baked peanut butter chocolate bars in the refrigerator. The layers will soften or melt if they are exposed to warm temperatures.
Crunchy peanut butter bars can stay out for a few hours while you plate and serve them, but for longer periods, keep them in the refrigerator.
They’re also freezer friendly! Slice and place in a freezer container that’s been lined with foil. Don’t stack, or they’ll stick together.
Freeze no bake chocolate peanut butter bars for up to 6 months and thaw them in the refrigerator when you’re ready to eat them.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Peanut Butter Dessert Recipes
No Bake Peanut Butter Bars + Video
- 1 cup butter, 2 sticks
- 2 1/2 cups honey roasted crunchy peanut butter, divided
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- Add butter to a large microwave-safe mixing bowl. Heat in the microwave until the butter is completely melted. Stir in the peanut butter. Once combined add the graham cracker crumbs and powdered sugar. Stir until everything is completely incorporated.
- Pour mixture into a 9×13 baking pan and spread evenly. Place in the refrigerator while you prepare the ganache topping.
- Heat the chocolate chips and remaining 1/2 cup peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl. Heat 30 seconds at a time and stir between intervals.
- Pour the ganache over the peanut butter layer. Smooth into an even layer.
- Refrigerate 1-2 hours. Cut and serve. Store bars in the refrigerator.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published October 2017, updated and republished August 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.