Broccoli Mac and Cheese + Video
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Broccoli mac and cheese is easy to throw together for a simple comfort food meal. Make this one pan dinner recipe tonight in only 20 minutes!
Some recipes are so simple and delicious that they become regular rotations, and this one is no exception! Throw in some rotisserie or leftover chicken and you have a hearty meal that the whole family will love.
Need to use up some extra broccoli? Use it in this One-Pan Honey Garlic Chicken and Veggies, or this easy casserole.
Hawaiian Pasta is just as filling as broccoli mac and cheese, but with a combination of ham and pineapple that tastes exactly like the pizza.
Or, try my perfectly creamy Chicken Lazone for a more elevated dish with a rich, herbed sauce.
How To Make Broccoli Mac and Cheese
Not only does everything cook right in the same pan, but it’s ready in a few simple steps!
Combine the dairy and seasonings and simmer the pasta in the liquid just until it starts to get tender.
Add the frozen veggies, then stir in the cheese with a flour slurry until melted and smooth.
Finally, top with more shreds and place under the broiler until bubbly and browned!
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Warm the milk. While you don’t need to directly heat it, it helps to measure it out and let it sit on the counter while you prep everything else. This will remove the chill and prevent any lumps when added to the pan.
- Skip the bagged shreds. These have additives to keep everything from sticking together, but it also prevents the shreds from melting properly. I grate a whole block at a time, store it in a zip-top bag, and it lasts for several weeks in the fridge.
- Feeding a crowd? As long as your pot is large enough, you can easily double the recipe for more servings. Be sure it’s wider than it is deep, or the noodles won’t cook evenly.
Storage and Reheating
Transfer any leftovers to a sealed container and refrigerate for 3 to 5 days. Reheat individual portions in the microwave or on the stove, adding a splash of milk as needed for moisture.
Or, spread the broccoli mac and cheese into a greased baking dish with extra liquid, cover with foil, and bake at 350°F until warmed through.
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
Can I use fresh vegetables instead?
Yes, but I recommend steaming it in the microwave first. Stir it in just before broiling so it doesn’t become too soft or fall apart.
What other kinds of pasta will work for skillet mac and cheese?
Shells are the best alternative because they have a similar cooking time. Bowtie, rotini, or cavatappi are other great options, but they will need to simmer for a few extra minutes.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Do you ❤️ TSRI? Don’t miss another recipe!
Subscribe to The Slow Roasted Italian by email to receive new recipes in your inbox!!
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram ❤ ❤ ❤
Watch the video below to see how easy it is to make this recipe!
Broccoli Mac and Cheese + Video
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, 4 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chipotle chile pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups whole milk, + 2 tablespoons
- 8 ounces dried elbow macaroni
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 12 ounces shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a large skillet over medium-high; add butter, chipotle pepper, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Add 3 cups of milk, then cover.
- Once the milk starts bubbling add macaroni. Allow to bubble for 4-5 minutes, until pasta is almost cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Add broccoli and stir to combine. Bubble for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a resealable jar create slurry; combine 2 tablespoons milk and 2 tablespoons flour. Shake until well combined. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to broil. Stir in 8 ounces cheese. Add slurry. Stir to combine. Sprinkle with the remaining 4 ounces of cheese. Place under broiler for 2-4 minutes until cheese is melted and golden browned.
- Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published May 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.
Hi, It's a pleasure to meet you! This looks great!
I am so gonna make this for my hubby. One skillet dinner! He's been asking for Mac & Cheese for ages. At least this one doesn't seem daunting.
These all look great! I saw that Mac and Cheese on FoodGawker and it was love at first sight.
It is love in a skillet. Let us know if you make it and how it goes.
I'm just dying over that cheesy mac and cheese! I love that it's a one-skillet meal too!
Thanks darlin'! My daughter is just crazy about this. Let us know if you try it and how it goes.
Tried the 20 min Mac & Cheese w Broccoli in one pot tonight. It was so easy & delicious. Thank you for the recipes. I'll be making more of what you post.
Awesome! So happy you loved it. Look forward to hearing more about your kitchen adventures.
I like the sound of the Mac and Cheese with Broccoli and the other recipes look good. Pinning to look back at!!
As usual, Donna, a really wonderful recipe! It's definitely making an appearance on my table this week.
Yay Candace! I can't wait to hear how it goes. Enjoy.
The 12 oz of cheddar cheese – is that measured before or after shredding??
I love broccoli and cheddar soup, but have never thought to put it in mac and cheese. It came out amazing!