Broccoli Salad with Bacon features sweet raisins, plus plenty of crunch from onion and nuts. With a sweet and creamy dressing to tie it all together, this easy broccoli salad is the perfect summer side!
Broccoli Salad with Bacon
The combination of fresh broccoli, bacon, plump raisins, red onion, and roasted pine nuts tossed with a sweet and creamy dressing creates the most amazing summer salad yet.
Broccoli bacon salad adds a salty, savory twist to classic recipes. And it’s so good, you’ll be sneaking a bowl for lunch and dinner throughout the week!
I love grabbing heads of broccoli when they are on sale — there are so many easy and delicious recipes that make use of this green veggie.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Broccoli – You really want to use fresh florets for this broccoli salad recipe with bacon. There needs to be a sturdy crunch, which you won’t get from frozen florets.
- Raisins – I prefer to use golden raisins, as they are a bit sweeter and tend to be more plump. Feel free to use regular raisins, as long as they are still nice and soft.
- Mayo and Sour Cream – This creamy and tangy combo forms the base of the broccoli raisin salad dressing.
Greek yogurt is a great substitute for the sour cream. And for a lighter dressing, try mayo made with olive oil!
- Bacon Crumbles – Cook and crumble your own strips, or grab a bag of bits to save time!
- Pine Nuts – Swap with chopped pecans or walnuts if you don’t like these (or if there’s an allergy).
Easy Broccoli Salad Recipe Tips
- Blanche the florets. This step only takes a few minutes, but it makes a huge difference in the texture of broccoli salad with bacon!
Boil just for 30 seconds, then drain and plunge florets into an ice bath to stop them from cooking further.
- Prefer a thicker dressing? Simply reduce or omit the lemon juice.
- Chill it first. While you can serve this easy broccoli salad right away, I find that it’s better after a few hours in the refrigerator.
The dressing softens the florets a little bit more, and all of the flavors really meld together in the best way.
The sky is the limit! Broccoli bacon salad tastes great with so many dishes, which is why it’s perfect for picnics and potlucks.
Broccoli Bacon Salad FAQ
While several many of my family recipes do require Miracle Whip, I don’t recommend it for this broccoli salad recipe with bacon.
The added sweetener and spices will compete with the other flavors in the dish, and it won’t taste quite right.
Transfer leftovers to an airtight container and refrigerate for 3 to 4 days.
Also, remember not to leave broccoli salad with bacon out for longer than 2 hours or it will spoil.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Summer Salads
Best Ever Broccoli Salad with Bacon + Video
- 3 pounds fresh broccoli florets, washed
- 1 cup bacon crumbles
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup toasted pine nuts, or your favorite nut
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add broccoli and cook for 30 seconds. Drain water and rinse with ice cold water or place broccoli in an ice bath. Drain and set aside.
- Reserve a small handful of bacon, raisins and pine nuts for garnish.
- In a medium bowl combine mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Place broccoli, onion and remaining raisins in a large bowl. Pour dressing over top. Toss to coat. Chill.
- When ready to serve add nuts and bacon and toss well. Garnish with reserved bacon, raisins and pine nuts. Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published June 2014, updated and republished July 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.