This Air Fryer Steak Recipe turns out so tender and juicy, the meat practically melts in your mouth! Pair air fried steaks with fresh veggies for an easy meal in under 30 minutes.
You may be asking yourself — why make steak in the air fryer? A lot of people like to use the grill, but there isn’t always one available or the weather may not permit it.
Air Fryer Steak Recipe
There’s nothing quite as delicious as a perfectly seared rib eye steak.
Sure, you could grill it or pan sear it, but why bother when you can just as easily cook steak in an air fryer?!
You can get consistent steaks every time, once you figure out the right settings and times — and it’s much more hands off! Just set it, flip halfway, and take it out.
Steak Air Fryer Tips and Tricks
- Try a different cut. I like using ribeye because it has a good amount of marbling (fat), which makes it extra juicy and flavorful!
It’s fairly affordable, but sirloin steak is a great substitute.
You’ll want to compare the weight and thickness of the meat to determine whether or not you need to adjust the cooking time for this air fryer steak recipe.
- Bring meat to room temperature before cooking. This removes the chill and helps the ribeye cook more evenly. Otherwise, you may need to increase the cooking time.
- Don’t forget to preheat! Do this while you oil and season the beef so it cooks at a consistent temperature.
- Herbed butter adds extra flavor. You can either purchase some pre-made from the store or create your own by combining softened butter with your favorite herbs.
Once mixed, refrigerate until firm before using.
I love to pair this air fryer steak recipe with some fresh asparagus tossed in olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper.
In fact, you can toss them in with the meat (as long as your basket is large enough) since they’re ready in 7-8 minutes at 400°F.
Even something as simple as a green salad can be thrown together while your steak is in the air fryer.
Cooking Times For Steak In The Air Fryer
The cookbook for my model has the following times listed for varying degrees of doneness, but these still may vary based on the size and thickness of your steaks.
- Medium Rare: 7-9 minutes
- Medium: 8-9 minutes
- Well: 9-12 minutes
It’s never a bad idea to use a digital meat thermometer, just to be safe. Insert the probe into the very center for the most accurate reading.
Since the meat will cook a bit more as it rests, you should remove steak from the air fryer basket once it reaches the lower end of the desired temperature range.
- Rare: 120-130°F
- Medium Rare: 130-135°F
- Medium: 135-145°F
- Well: 145-155°F
Air Fried Steaks FAQ
For 1-inch thick cuts of steak, you will want to set the air fryer temperature to 400
Technically, no. Because the hot air circulates around the food, it will cook through without flipping.
However, you will get better results if you flip the meat halfway when making this air fryer steak recipe.
Always allow cooked steaks to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
This allows the fibers to relax and the juices to redistribute evenly throughout the meat, which means perfectly tender and juicy bites!
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Fantastic Steak Recipes
Air Fryer Steak Recipe
- 1 boneless ribeye steak, 1 pound, 1 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- sprig of fresh rosemary, herb butter, and kosher salt
- Place your steak in a shallow bowl and allow it to rest at room temperature for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F for 5 minutes.
- Evenly coat the ribeye with olive oil on both sides.
- In a small bowl, mix the kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and chopped rosemary until well combined. Sprinkle the seasoning mixture on both sides of the steak.
- Place the steak in the air fryer and cook for 7-8 minutes, flipping the steak halfway, or until cooked to your preference.
- Transfer your steak to a cutting board and allow it to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Top with fresh rosemary, herb butter, and kosher salt and enjoy alone or with your favorite side.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published June 2021, updated and republished April 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.