Hawaiian Tortellini Pasta Salad is a like a party in your mouth! It’s a blend of your favorite island flavors in a fabulously bright, sweet and tangy summer pasta salad. A simple recipe with an outstanding pineapple-ginger dressing, this will be a hit everywhere you take it.
Chad and I are celebrating 20 years together and 10 years married this year. It is a big year. When we married it was not good timing for a honeymoon so we said we would take out honeymoon for our 1st anniversary. Well, 1st became 2nd and needless to say we never had that honeymoon. Here we are celebrating 10 years and I want to celebrate big.
Hawaii big! I am thinking about traveling to Hawaii and renewing our vows in a very intimate ceremony on the beach. I imagine a beautiful flowing floral dress, leis around our necks (Chad is wear some cool beach shorts and a shirt) and waves crashing on the beach with my beautiful daughter standing by my side. Lots of entertainment, hula dancing, luaus and food. Ohhhh, the food. That is the absolute perfect ‘familymoon’!!!
I have never actually been to Hawaii, but I have dreamed of it and with summer nearing and Hawaii on my mind I was inspired to create a recipe with the essence of Hawaii in a summer salad. One of my favorite combinations that makes me think of Hawaii is ham and pineapple. The inspiration of this recipe actually came from the Hawaiian pizza (very mainland, huh?) once you try one you may never go back.
My favorite Hawaiian pizza is a hand tossed crust with marinara sauce that is fully loaded with ham, pineapple, red onion, and peppers. I took that amazing Hawaiian pizza and turned into my newest summer salad creation.
How To Make Hawaiian Tortellini Salad
It all starts with a rainbow of vegetables, ham, tortellini and pineapple of course. But the real magic is the dressing. A sweet pineapple dressing with a little kick from ginger is the perfect complement to this fun and non-traditional Hawaiian Tortellini Salad.
This pasta salad is so summery and refreshing. I could not stop eating it. I did manage to share it with family and friends though. What can I say, I love to feed people. And they all loved it and asked for the recipe! That is the mark of a great recipe. I know you are going to love it too.
Helpful Tips to make Hawaiian Tortellini Salad:
- Salad is excellent the next day. If you like a lighter dressing coating make 1/2 of the dressing recipe. This gives it a nice and thick coating.
- If you do not have ginger paste, you can use finely diced fresh ginger or ground ginger to taste (start with 1/4 teaspoon).
- This is a fantastic make ahead salad. When making ahead, use 1/2 of the dressing when preparing the salad. Reserve the remaining dressing to pour over the salad before you serve. This will keep the salad nice and creamy. If you use all of the dressing initially your pasta may soak up all the dressing.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Check out more of our favorite pasta salad recipes:
Hawaiian Tortellini Salad + Video
- 19 ounces frozen cheese tortellini, or fresh
- 2 orange bell peppers, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 English cucumber, cut into quarters and sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 16 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2.5 cups diced ham
- 14 ounces pineapple tidbits, in 100% pineapple juice (reserve the juice)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice, reserved from the can of pineapple tidbits
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste , or fresh grated garlic
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste, or fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook tortellini according to directions on the package. Drain and set aside once cooked.
- Chop ham and vegetables and set aside. Reserve pineapple juice for the dressing. Set aside. Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
- To a pint size mason jar, add dressing ingredients. Cover with lid and shake mason jar until dressing is combined. Pour dressing over salad and gently toss with salad tongs until well coated.
- Serve and enjoy.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.