Best Ever Tropical Fruit Salad + Video
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Best Ever Tropical Fruit Salad is the only summer side recipe you’ll ever need!! My entire picky family devours this fresh fruit salad, and you will too.
Fruit salads are a pretty reliable sign of spring and warmer weather around here. We love fruit in our house, we eat it year round, but come spring our counters and refrigerator are packed with fresh fruit.
Tropical Fruit Salad
We have a few special ingredients that give it a little nuttiness and a touch of zestiness to kick it up a notch.
It’s the perfect any-occasion dish, and it feeds a crowd, too.
The dressing is truly magical. The combination of citrus juices with honey is phenomenal in the fruit salad dressing.
I love how bright it is and love creating new dishes with it.
Throughout the warmer months you will see fruit filled cakes, ice pops, fruit ice cream and even fruit cocktails (the adult kind) in our house.
Watch the video below to see how easy it is to make this fruit salad recipe!
I could only think of bringing ice pops or fruit and I figured fruit would travel much better in 96-degree temps.
I have to say it was a brilliant decision and I am pretty sure every drop was devoured, although I can’t know for sure.
We did leave a little early. Chad mentioned ice cream and the next thing you know we were in the car driving to Dairy Queen. You know, priorities. LOL
As I was saying… The very next day, I decided to test the fruit salad recipe and I have to say the second recipe test resulted in my ‘happy dance’ AND a few pats on the back as I shouted out “I AM A GENIUS! OH MY GOSH, THIS IS DIVINE!”
Ok, so I guess you figured out that I love this fresh fruit salad and you are probably wondering what is so special about it.
Tropical fruit salads are pretty fantastic on their own. I mean look at the players: pineapple, mango, kiwi, mandarin oranges and strawberry (for a pop of color).
They can certainly pull off a fantastic dish all on their own. But, you know how well lime compliments those tropical flavors, right? What about lime, honey, and ginger?
Other Fruits to Add
- This fresh fruit salad is fabulous with whatever you have on hand. I love carambola (star fruit) and papaya in this salad as well.
- Bananas are lovely, but have to be added at the last minute or they will get soft and not look pretty.
They are a true flavor affinity! Then to kick it up a notch we added in lemon and more orange. Last, for a little nuttiness, I added poppyseed.
My masterpiece! The Best Ever Tropical Fruit Salad. This is the only one you need to try.
My entire picky family devours this fruit salad. The dressing is truly magical. The combination of citrus juices with honey and poppy seeds.
The ginger in the dressing adds a little zestiness that really kicks it up a notch, but it is subtle enough that no one will really be able to put their finger on the flavor.
Enjoy, oh and bring the recipe. People will be asking for it!
Helpful Tips for Making Tropical Fruit Salad
- To make the salad ahead, prepare the dressing and store it in the refrigerator in a mason jar until 30 minutes or so before you are ready to serve.
Shake the dressing, pour over the salad and toss to combine.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Do you ❤️ TSRI? Don’t miss another recipe!
Subscribe to The Slow Roasted Italian by email to receive new recipes in your inbox!!
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram ❤ ❤ ❤
Other Easy Fruit Salad Recipes
Tropical Fruit Salad + Video
- 12 mandarin oranges, divided (for dressing and salad)
- 2 cup strawberries, sliced
- 5 kiwi
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored, cut into bite-size chunks
- 3 mangoes, peeled, pitted, cut into bite-size chunks
Citrus Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste, or grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Prepare fruit salad dressing: Wash and dry lemon, lime and 2 mandarin oranges. Zest the washed and dried citrus with a zester or fine grater. Add to 1 cup measuring cup or small bowl. Cut each fruit in half and squeeze the juice into the measuring cup. (You should get about 1/2 cup juice). Add honey, ginger and poppy seeds to juice mixture and whisk until combined. Set aside, or cover and refrigerate if serving more than one day later.
- Prepare remaining fruit: Slice strawberries and kiwi. Section remaining oranges. Peel and core pineapple and peel and pit mango, and cut both into bite size chunks. Place fruit in a large bowl. Pour dressing on top of fruit and toss to coat. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes before serving.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published March 2015. Updated and republished May 2021.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for your support; it allows us to keep creating new recipes.
Can this be made with frozen fruit?
I made this fruit salad today. It is very delicious.
Perfect one for hot summer days we have ! 🙂
Delicious! I made this but didn’t use strawberry or mango but added apple and blueberry because that’s what I had one hand! This is absolutely delicious!!! Thank you!!!!
I'm sure this recipe must be delicious. I made this before but every layer of fruit I replace with yogurt and it's was amazing.
Haven't used mangoes in a salad before. Do I peel them first before cutting? Also the kiwi? Going to make for Easter and want to get it right. Thanks so much!
to unknown: Yes, peel mangoes and kiwis. Also, remove central pit from mango.
Yummy Yummy Fruit Salad! This was an awesome fruit salad, can’t wait to make this again