Pizza Pasta Salad is like a party in your mouth! It’s a blend of your favorite pizza toppings and cheesy tortellini in a fabulously zesty and tangy summer pasta salad. This simple recipe for tortellini pasta salad with pepperoni is sure to be your new obsession!
Pizza Pasta Salad
As far back as I can remember there were always tables of food at every family gathering. I mean — we are Italian — but we grew up in a little southern town in Florida.
That meant weekends at the beach, pig roasts at sunset, and family fun that would go into the wee hours of the morning.
This pasta salad with pepperoni is so summery and refreshing, and it takes me right back to those summers growing up. I could not stop eating it!
It all starts with a rainbow of vegetables, bacon and pepperoni, plenty of cheese — and tender tortellini, of course.
But the real magic is the dressing.
A homemade zesty Italian dressing with a little kick from red pepper flakes is the perfect complement to this fun tortellini pasta salad.
Want a different flavor? Try this Cuban Sandwich Pasta Salad that is truly amazing.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Frozen Tortellini – You are welcome to use fresh if you prefer. It just tends to be harder to find!
- Veggies – English cucumbers have less water and don’t need to be peeled, making them perfect for this pizza pasta salad recipe.
Combine with red onion, cherry tomatoes, and sliced black olives.
- Meat – I love to use mini pepperoni with cooked and crumbled bacon slices. Salami would be just as tasty, as would regular pepperoni!
Just be sure to cut those into bite-sized pieces if you decide to swap.
- Cheese – Since there’s already cheese in the tortellini, we don’t need much in the dish.
Just some mozzarella to keep it light and creamy, plus grated Parmesan because…well, Italian!
- Dressing – The base for this is olive oil plus white wine vinegar. If needed, apple cider vinegar is a close substitute.
Dried oregano and freshly minced garlic amp up the Italian flavors, while red pepper flakes add subtle heat.
Tips for Making Pasta Salad with Pepperoni
- Avoid grease splatters. Cook bacon in the oven or the air fryer. It’s often faster, and you’ll have less to clean!
- Slice tomatoes in seconds! Place a handful of cherry tomatoes between two lids, then run a large knife through the middle. They’ll be halved in no time!
- Use a mason jar. Instead of whisking your pizza pasta salad dressing in a bowl, simply add everything to a jar and give it a good shake.
If you need to make it ahead of time, it’s already in a storage container!
Pizza Pasta Salad Recipe FAQ
While both are stuffed pastas, ravioli are larger and far more delicate than tortellini. Because of that, it would simply tear apart when combined with the other ingredients.
The size alone would make it very difficult to eat this pasta salad with pepperoni!
No, and you probably shouldn’t! Always follow the cooking instructions on your package for best results.
Either! You can serve it right away while the tortellini is still warm, or you can chill it for a few hours if you prefer.
If you do plan to refrigerate tortellini pasta salad overnight, be sure to follow the make-ahead instructions below.
Storing Leftover Tortellini Pasta Salad
This pizza pasta salad is excellent the next day. In fact, it’s the perfect make-ahead recipe!
Start with half of the dressing when first putting everything together.
Store the rest of the dressing separately in the fridge, then pour it over everything and toss before serving.
This prevents the tortellini from soaking up all of the dressing overnight.
Tortellini pasta salad with pepperoni will keep for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator as leftovers.
Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap or transfer leftovers to an airtight container.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Pasta Salad Recipes
Pizza Pasta Salad with Tortellini + Video
- 19 ounce bag frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 English cucumber, cut into quarters and sliced
- 1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 16 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces cooked bacon, chopped
- 2.25 ounce can sliced black olives, drained
- 8 ounces mozzarella, cut into bite size pieces
- 5 ounce package mini pepperoni
- 1 ounce shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup light tasting olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook tortellini according to directions on the package. Drain and set add to a large serving bowl.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a pint size mason jar. Seal and shake the living tar out of it. Pour half of the dressing over the warm pasta and toss to combine.
- Add the remaining salad ingredients to the bowl and toss until well coated. Serve immediate or refrigerate until ready to serve. I like to reserve some of the basil and pepperoni to scatter on top when serving.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published June 2017, updated and republished June 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.