Air Fryer French Toast is a breakfast food that transcends generations — young and old, everyone loves a fluffy, syrupy plate of air fried French toast!! The cinnamon and vanilla batter coats slice after slice of pillowy bread. And with this Italian bread French toast, it all puffs up like a cloud and gets the most scrumptious browned crust.
Air Fryer French Toast
Let me tell you, learning how to make French toast in my air fryer was the best decision I ever made!!
Not only is it always tasty, but it takes less than 15 minutes to make 6 slices — enough for everyone in my family to have two!
It’s easy enough to double this recipe and keep the air fryer French toast coming.
Think about how easy weekend breakfasts are going to get with this Italian bread French toast recipe up your sleeve!
While we’re on the subject of French toast, have you tried this make ahead bake that you can save for busy mornings?
And this overnight French toast casserole is made with gingerbread — perfect for the holidays!
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
- Bread – While you can really use any bread to make French toast, hearty and thick bread like Italian, sourdough, brioche, or Texas toast will yield the best results.
The batter in this recipe makes enough for 6 slices!
- Heavy Whipping Cream & Whole Milk – Don’t get too excited and go with all heavy cream — too much dairy will make the bread too soggy, and it won’t cook through!
- Vanilla Extract – You can also use vanilla bean paste for a stronger flavor!
And if you’re using maple syrup and just love that flavor, try using maple extract — it’s so unique and tasty!
Almond and hazelnut extracts are great for adding a sweet, nutty taste to air fried French toast.
- Ground Cinnamon & Nutmeg – Can’t beat the classics!
The best spices to use as substitutes include allspice, cloves, and ginger — those will get you a different flavor, though.
How to Make French Toast in the Air Fryer Perfect Every Time!
- Don’t use fresh bread.
At least, not right out of the package. We don’t want it to be stale, per se, just slightly dry.
This way, it’ll absorb the batter without getting soggy and falling apart! If you just bought your loaf, simply leave the package open overnight.
- Whisk the batter well.
You’re not making scrambled eggs here, so make sure those whites and yolks are completely combined with the milk and seasonings!
- Line air fryer basket with parchment paper.
While this isn’t necessary, it sure makes clean up easier!
- Don’t soak the slices for too long.
If the bread sits in the batter for too long, it’ll fall apart before it makes it to the air fryer!
Give it a bit of a shake as well to remove any excess.
- But be sure to soak them for long enough!
If you don’t get enough batter, you’ll just get regular ol’ toast!
Press the slices into the batter and flip over once or twice to ensure a complete coating.
I personally would never have French toast without syrup and fresh berries — strawberries and blueberries are my family’s favorites.
And I always dust each slice with powdered sugar!
And don’t forget a bit of butter on top to wrap everything together!
Air Fried French Toast FAQ
It takes roughly 7 minutes to make one batch of French toast in an air fryer. The number of slices you can fit in one batch depends on how large your slices are and how large your air fryer basket is.
Sure! Just add an extra two minutes or so of cook time per side — no need to thaw first.
If you’re freezing this recipe for later, coat the bread as directed and lay each piece on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Freeze for 20 minutes or so, until they’re firm and no longer sticky.
Then stack Italian bread French toast in an airtight container (with a sheet of parchment paper between each slice) and freeze for later use!
How to Reheat French Toast in Air Fryer
You can keep leftover air fryer French toast in the fridge for up to 2 days. Store in an airtight container separate from any toppings and syrup.
Leftovers aren’t very tasty cold, so warm them back up in your air fryer! Cook slices again at 370°F, but you’ll only need about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Then, add your toppings after it’s warmed through and crisped on the surface.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Easy Breakfast Recipes
Air Fryer French Toast
- 6 slices bread, 3/4 inch thick (See Notes)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Line air fryer basket with parchment paper liner. Preheat the air fryer to 370°F.
- To a medium-size mixing bowl, add eggs, cream, milk, vanilla, and spices; whisk well to combine.
- Pour egg mixture into a shallow pie plate or baking dish. One at a time, dredge each slice of bread in egg mixture, flipping over to coat both sides.
- Arrange soaked bread slices in a single layer in the air fryer basket (You will need to cook them in batches).
- Cook for 7 minutes, flipping each slice over halfway through cook time. Repeat with remaining bread slices.
- Serve warm with desired toppings (butter, syrup, fresh berries, etc.).
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published November 2022, updated and republished September 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.