Summer Corn Salad is a bright refreshing taste of summer. Garden fresh corn and tomatoes come together with fresh mozzarella, herbs, and a glorious dressing that really gives it an even lighter, fresher taste. This corn tomato basil salad is the perfect summer side dish!
Summer Corn Salad
I can not get enough of salads during the summer months, but sometimes, I’m just tired of the same old lettuce combinations.
Vegetable salads — like my Best Ever Broccoli Salad — are the easiest way to satisfy this craving.
They’re much lighter than pasta salads, and they often require much less effort to make.
For this summer corn salad, I grabbed a bunch of garden fresh ingredients (okay, they are actually market fresh), tossed them with an incredible lemon and garlic dressing, and sat down to enjoy lunch. Easy peasy!
I love to buy ears of corn by the armful when they’re on sale, and I have plenty of recipes for you to try if you do the same!
And if you’ve got friends coming over to watch the game, you can’t go wrong with this cheesy hot corn dip and plenty of tortilla chips!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Corn – We really enjoyed the flavor of the kernels fresh off the cob. You can cook yours if you prefer — in the microwave, air fryer, oven, IP, or on the stovetop.
Or, toss them on the grill or smoker for a little extra flavor!
- Tomatoes – Cherry tomatoes tend to be a bit sweeter and less watery than grape tomatoes, but either is fine.
A medley is another great option to get a variety of flavors and colors. Whichever you choose, be sure to use my kitchen hack for slicing them in seconds!
- Mozzarella – Use the fresh stuff for this summer corn salad recipe! Cut it into thick slices, then into bite-sized pieces.
If pearl mozzarella is available, you could simply slice the balls in half and use those instead.
- Olive Oil – In such a simple dish, quality really makes a difference!
Choose the best quality extra virgin olive oil you can get your hands on for summer corn salad dressing.
Tips for Making Corn Tomato Basil Salad
- Don’t skip the lemon juice!
The acid really mellows out the starchiness of the kernels and creates a fabulous, refreshing flavor. Be sure to use freshly squeezed.
- Try a different flavor combo.
Swap the mozzarella for feta or goat cheese and replace the basil with fresh parsley. Need a dairy-free option?
Omit the cheese entirely and toss in some black beans for protein!
Bell peppers, cucumber, red onion, and avocado are all tasty options too. Experiment to find your favorite combination.
- Make ahead tip:
Prep the salad ingredients in a bowl, then add the dressing ingredients to a mason jar.
Store both in the fridge until you’re ready to serve, then give the jar a shake and pour it over the corn tomato mozzarella salad.
It also makes a great starter to satisfy your guests while they wait for a full cookout feast!
Kitchen Tools You’ll Need
- Sharp Knife or Corn Cob Stripper – This genius tool makes quick work of removing kernels from the corn cob.
- Citrus Juicer – This gets every last drop out, which makes juicing lemons so much easier.
- Medium Mixing Bowl – Serve this summer corn salad in a clear bowl to really let the colorful mixture shine!
Summer Corn Salad Recipe FAQ
We do exactly that with this summer corn salad recipe! It’s entirely your preference if you want to slice off the kernels raw or cook your corn on the cob first.
You’ll want to chiffonade basil, which is a fancy slicing term for a very simple method.
Stack a few basil leaves on top of each other, keeping them of similar size. Roll them into a tube starting from one of the wide edges.
Then, hold the tube with one hand while you slice across it with the other. Gently separate the pieces and you’ve got thin ribbons!
Storing Leftover Corn Tomato Mozzarella Salad
Keep this summer side dish tightly covered in plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container.
Store in the refrigerator and eat within a day or two for best results.
If you plan on eating corn tomato mozzarella salad throughout the week, store the dressing separately. Then, toss with individual portions as needed.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Summer Salad Recipes
Summer Corn Salad + Video
- 4 ears fresh corn on the cob, cleaned and washed
- 10.5 ounce package grape tomatoes, halved
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into bite size pieces
- 10 basil leaves, chiffonade (roll leaves and slice thinly)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Cut corn off the cob, place into a medium mixing bowl. Add tomatoes and mozzarella. Sprinkle with basil. Set aside.
- Add fresh lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper to a pint size canning jar. Shake to combine. Pour dressing over salad. Toss to combine.
- Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published July 2014, updated and republished July 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.