Creamy Cucumber Salad is a simple side dish that comes together in less than 10 minutes. Combine fresh cucumbers, red onions, and a spectacular dressing to create a fresh cucumber dill salad that is perfect for summer potlucks and more!
Creamy Cucumber Salad
A potluck or summer dinner party isn’t complete without a fresh cucumber onion salad.
This creamy version is made extra delicious with a simple yogurt-mayo lemon dill dressing. It’s a quick and easy side dish that everyone will love!
Best of all, creamy cucumber salad comes together in less than 10 minutes with ingredients you probably already have available in your refrigerator and pantry.
Speaking of popular potluck sides, you can never go wrong with a classic macaroni salad. This is a family recipe that is dear to my heart, and everyone always goes back for seconds.
Not a fan of cucumber salad with mayo? I’ve got a simpler version that’s tossed with vinegar. Or, try a sweet Cucumber Tomato Salad with Lemon Poppyseed Dressing!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Cucumbers – Grab 3 large cucumbers, no need to peel them first. English cucumbers are a great alternative with fewer seeds and a thinner skin.
- Red Onion – This variety is perfect for any raw dish, including this cucumber onion salad.
To reduce the natural bite, soak slices in ice water and drain before adding them to the bowl.
- Mayo and Sour Cream – Greek yogurt is an excellent lower-fat alternative for sour cream.
In fact, you can use any combination of Greek yogurt, sour cream, and mayonnaise for the creamy cucumber salad dressing as long as the total amount is 1/2 cup.
- Garlic and Dill – Use freshly minced garlic instead of garlic powder, if desired. You can also use dried dill instead of fresh.
- Lemon – You’ll need both the zest and juice for this creamy cucumber salad recipe, so grab fresh lemons for the best flavor.
Tips for Making Cucumber Salad with Mayo
- Get even slices. If your knife skills aren’t the best, grab a mandoline slicer!
You can use it for the red onion too — cut off the base, run it over the blade, then slice the rings in half or quarters and separate.
- Salt the cucumbers. Since these tend to release a lot of liquid, be sure to prep them ahead of time.
Place sliced cucumbers in a serving dish and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, then pour off the liquid.
Do not rinse, and do not add more salt.
- Make it vegan. Use all vegan mayo for the dressing, but add a little apple cider vinegar to make up for the tang missing from the sour cream.
- Add some heat. A dash of cayenne pepper goes a long way to warm up the dish.
- Or more herbs! Chopped parsley or chives would be a tasty addition to this cucumber dill salad.
Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe FAQ
It’s really up to you — I don’t for this cucumber onion salad, but feel free to peel them if you prefer. English or Persian cucumbers are a happy medium. The peel is thinner, so you can leave them on, but the slices are still easier to chew.
Yes! Assemble everything according to this creamy cucumber salad recipe, then cover tightly and store in the refrigerator up to 1 day in advance. This also gives all of the flavors a chance to meld together! Just know that the longer it sits, the softer the veggies will become.If you prefer, you can store the dressing separately and toss everything together just before serving.
Absolutely, without question. The dressing contains both mayo and sour cream, which means it cannot sit out for longer than 2 hours.If serving outside, you may want to place your bowl of cucumber dill salad on ice.Leftovers will keep for a day or two in the refrigerator.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Fresh Salad Recipes
Creamy Cucumber Salad + Video
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream, or Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, from 1 large lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, from 1 large lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 3 large cucumbers, sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayo, sour cream, lemon juice, lemon zest, dill and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chopped cucumbers and red onion to the creamy dressing and stir to combine. Be sure all cucumbers are well coated.
- Serve immediately, or chill until ready to serve.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published May 2018, updated and republished July 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.