Our creamy mushroom chicken features a velvety mushroom sauce over boneless chicken breasts. Make this easy chicken recipe in just one pan!
Say hello to your new favorite weeknight dinner! All you need are a handful of ingredients to have this delicious family meal on the table in under 30 minutes.
Creamy Mushroom Chicken
This recipe makes enough to feed the whole family, and you can stretch it even further by adding a few side dishes. Plus, it’s made from scratch, without condensed soup, so you can feel good about serving it too!
Although this chicken breast recipe is very simple, if you need more of a hands-off solution, check out my incredibly simple recipe for Instant Pot Cream of Mushroom Chicken. That dish is a “set it and forget it” favorite of mine!
Recipe Ingredients and Notes
- Cut down on prep time.
Buy your mushrooms pre-sliced and swap the boneless breasts for tenders instead. Slice them into halves or thirds and cook as directed. By the way, don’t feel like you have to use Baby Bella mushrooms. If you prefer something else, any small round variety will work well in this creamy chicken and mushroom recipe.
- Soften the cream cheese.
Doing so will help it melt more quickly in the skillet. Simply place it on the counter before starting the recipe, and it will be ready to go when you need it!
- Be sure the chicken breast is completely cooked.
Use an instant read thermometer to ensure the meat is fully cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F. Or, slice into one of the pieces – it’s done if the center is no longer pink and the juices run completely clear.
- Feeding a crowd?
You can easily double the recipe by using a large Dutch oven, though you may need to cook the meat in batches. In that case, heat another tablespoon of oil before each batch to prevent sticking.
Creamy mushroom chicken goes well with a variety of side dishes. Add a green salad for a simple meal, or cook up some chicken flavored rice or Instant Pot mac and cheese along with your favorite vegetable.
For a heartier meal, add some crispy air fryer potatoes. Or, serve it over cooked fettuccine for an easy pasta dish!
Kitchen Tools You Will Need
- Skillet – This is my go-to pan that I’ve had for over a decade! It heats evenly, so the meat gets a nice sear for this creamy chicken and mushroom dish.
- Instant Read Cooking Thermometer – Makes it easy to ensure your meat is at the correct temperature and is safe to eat!
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Creamy Mushroom Chicken FAQ
What are Baby Bella mushrooms?
Baby Bellas, also known as Cremini, are simply young Portobello mushrooms. They have a firmer, meatier consistency than other varieties. The flavor can be extra savory, so use a white button variety if you prefer a milder flavor.
How do I make a thinner mushroom sauce?
To make more of the mushroom sauce for creamy mushroom chicken, simply stir in a little chicken broth or stock until the sauce reaches the desired consistency.
It helps to warm the broth first, and be sure to stir constantly. This prevents the cream cheese from separating.
How do I store leftovers?
Allow the dish to cool, then transfer any leftovers to an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 4 days and reheat on the stove, add a splash or two of broth as needed.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Other Easy Chicken Breast Recipes
Creamy Mushroom Chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 chicken breasts, about 1 ½ pounds, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, salt, and pepper to the pan. Cook until the chicken is golden brown and reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Once the oil is heated, add in the mushrooms and cook until they are golden brown.
- Stir in the cream cheese and Italian dressing. Once the cream cheese is melted, add the chicken back into the pan and cook just until the chicken is warmed.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published December 2021. Updated and republished June 2022.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for your support; it allows us to keep creating new recipes.