Our Creamy Mushroom Chicken features a velvety mushroom sauce over boneless chicken breasts. Make this easy chicken mushroom recipe in just one pan!
Creamy Mushroom Chicken
Say hello to your new favorite weeknight dinner! All you need are a handful of ingredients to have this delicious family meal on the table in under 30 minutes.
This mushroom chicken recipe makes enough to feed the whole family, and you can stretch it even further by adding a few side dishes.
Plus, it’s made from scratch, without condensed soup, so you can feel good about serving it too!
Although this creamy mushroom chicken recipe is very easy to make, there’s a hands-off option as well!
Check out my incredibly simple recipe for Instant Pot Cream of Mushroom Chicken. That dish is a “set it and forget it” favorite of mine!
Chicken Mushroom Recipe Tips
- Cut down on prep time. Buy your mushrooms pre-sliced and swap the boneless breasts for tenders instead. Slice them into halves or thirds, then cook as directed.
- Use different mushrooms. Don’t feel like you have to use Baby Bella mushrooms.
If you prefer something else, any small round variety will work well in this creamy chicken and mushroom recipe.
- Soften the cream cheese. Doing so will help it melt more quickly in the skillet.
Simply place it on the counter before starting this chicken mushroom recipe, and it will be ready to go when you need it!
- Check internal temperature. Use an instant-read thermometer to ensure the chicken is fully cooked to an internal temp of 165°F.
Or, slice into one of the pieces — it’s done if the center is no longer pink and the juices run completely clear.
- Feeding a crowd? You can easily double this chicken mushroom recipe by using a large Dutch oven, though you may need to cook the meat in batches.
In that case, heat another tablespoon of oil before each batch to prevent sticking.
Serving Suggestions for Creamy Mushroom Chicken
Creamy mushroom chicken goes well with a variety of side dishes.
For a heartier meal, add some crispy air fryer potatoes. Or, serve this creamy chicken and mushroom dish over tender fettuccine for an easy pasta meal!
Kitchen Tools You Will Need
- Skillet – This is my go-to pan that I’ve had for over a decade! It heats evenly, so the meat gets a nice sear for this mushroom chicken recipe.
- Instant Read Cooking Thermometer – Ensure your meat is at the correct temperature and is safe to eat!
Mushroom Chicken Recipe FAQ
Baby Bellas, also known as Cremini, are simply young Portobello mushrooms. They have a firmer, meatier consistency than other varieties. The flavor can be extra savory, so use a white button variety if you prefer a milder flavor.
To make more mushroom sauce for this creamy chicken and mushroom dish, simply stir in a little chicken broth or stock until the sauce reaches the desired consistency.It helps to warm the broth first — and be sure to stir constantly. This prevents the cream cheese from separating.
Leftover creamy mushroom chicken can be refrigerated for up to 4 days. Allow the dish to cool before transferring to an airtight container. Reheat on the stove, adding a splash or two of broth as needed. You may want to cover creamy mushroom chicken with a lid to help soften the sauce and warm the dish quickly and evenly.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Easy Chicken Breast Recipes
Creamy Mushroom Chicken Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 chicken breasts, about 1 ½ pounds, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, salt, and pepper to the pan. Cook until the chicken is golden brown and reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Once the oil is heated, add in the mushrooms and cook until they are golden brown.
- Stir in the cream cheese and Italian dressing. Once the cream cheese is melted, add the chicken back into the pan and cook just until the chicken is warmed.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published December 2021. Updated and republished September 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for your support; it allows us to keep creating new recipes.