Now that it’s officially comfort food season, there’s one dish our family always loves… and that’s this mushroom chicken tetrazzini. Traditionally, or at least, how I’ve seen it frequently, this dish is made with spaghetti pasta. My family prefers it with egg noodles, so that’s what I’ve made to share with you all today!
If you’d prefer spaghetti, that’s something you can easily substitute. One of the things I love about this chicken tetrazzini is that it’s made from scratch! No condensed soups whatsoever. Nothing against those soups, but I find meals taste better when made with everyday, whole ingredients.
Hi everyone, it’s Amanda from The Chunky Chef. I’m so excited to being joining The Slow Roasted Italian as a monthly contributor! Each month I’ll be sharing mouthwatering family recipes, all positively loaded with bold flavors. Great food doesn’t have to be complicated!
Perhaps the best part about this meal is that I typically use a shredded rotisserie chicken for this meal, but you can easily make this without that component. Just cook 2 chicken breasts until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the pot and shred with two forks… voila! Shredded chicken. Then just use the same pot and start with the recipe as written… easy peasy!
So what if your evening is incredibly packed and you just have NO time to prepare this meal? Good news… this chicken tetrazzini can be prepared the night before! Prepare as directed, but don’t bake, then cover and refrigerate overnight. While the oven is preheating, let the pot sit out on the counter at room temperature, then bake according to the recipe. I love meals like that… because we all know there are some nights that are crazy busy, but we still want a home cooked meal right?
As the weather cools down, and your nights get busier, give this chicken tetrazzini a try… I’m sure you’ll enjoy it as much as my family does!
HELPFUL TIPS TO MAKE CHICKEN TETRAZZINI:
- I really like to use cremini (also called baby Portobello) mushrooms in this chicken tetrazzini, as they bring a much meaty, earthy flavor to the dish but you can substitute button mushroom if you prefer.
- To make using fresh chicken breasts, add a drizzle of olive oil to pot over MED heat. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, to taste, and cook 5-6 minutes per side, until cooked through and golden. Remove chicken from skillet and drain excess grease. Shred chicken with two forks and set aside. Preheat oven, add butter and cook recipe as directed, starting with step 2 above.
- As an added bonus, the leftovers are fabulous… so lunch the next day is covered too!
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Check out more of our favorite dinner recipes: Click on the image or the bold recipe title and it will open each one in a new tab!!!
One-Pot Cheese Italian Pasta and Chicken is a rich and savory dish bursting with your favorite flavors! This simple recipe features a creamy sun-dried tomato sauce that is cooked right into the pasta in this amazing one-pot dish. Toss it all in a pot and let it cook. It’s so easy that it just about cooks itself. Now that’s my kind of meal!!!
One Pot Cheesy Pasta and Sausage, features a creamy, cheesy tomato basil sauce that is cooked right into the linguine pasta in this amazing dish that is ready in 20 minutes. Toss it all in a pot and let it cook. It’s so easy that it just about cooks itself. Now that’s my kind of meal!!!
One Pot Mexican Pasta and Sausage features a spectacular salsa inspired sauce; that is cooked right into the spaghetti in this amazing dish, ready in 20 Minutes! Your favorite salsa ingredients come together to with pasta and sausage to create a knock-your-socks-off meal. Toss it all in a pot and let it go. It’s so easy, that it just about cooks itself. Now that’s my kind of meal!
- 1/2 cup butter, plus 1 tablespoon, melted
- 8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced (can substitute 1 tsp dried thyme leaves)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 16 ounces egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken (or 2 large chicken breasts cooked and shredded – see recipe notes below)
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat a large cast iron (or other oven safe pot) skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup of butter and cook until melted. Add mushrooms and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in thyme, salt and pepper, then add flour, stirring to coat completely.
- Add chicken stock and cream, stirring frequently to remove any lumps. Cook, stirring often, about 8-10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Stir in cooked egg noodles, shredded chicken, peas and Parmesan cheese.
- In a small bowl, stir together melted butter and panko breadcrumbs, then sprinkle over the top of the dish. Season with additional pepper if desired, then bake 35-45 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.