This Creamy Chicken Marsala recipe is a new way to enjoy an old Italian classic! The silky marsala sauce coats every strand of pasta and is a perfect complement to a perfectly crisp and tender chicken cutlet.
Easy Chicken Marsala Recipe
I can’t help but think of my mom every time I make chicken marsala. At the Italian restaurant where I worked while in college, either chicken or veal marsala was her go-to order.
The great thing about Chicken Marsala is how incredibly easy it is to make; truly remarkable since it is SO delicious. Chicken is lightly pan fried and topped with buttery sautéed mushrooms, and topped with a simple marsala sauce that is nothing more than reduced marsala wine and a few pats of butter for creaminess.
I decided to take the classic and remix it by making a creamy sauce that would coat the chicken and a nice helping of fettuccine noodles. It only adds one extra ingredient, but creates a dish that feels entirely new!
Helpful Tips to Make Creamy Chicken Marsala:
- Don’t overcrowd your mushrooms in the pan. Feel free to do this in two batches if your skillet isn’t big enough. When they are crowded, they don’t brown. Thanks, Julia Child.
- Sprinkling mushrooms with a small amount of salt is another good way to help them brown, not to mention seasoning them. The salt draws out moisture, similar to how you should be prepping eggplant and zucchini.
- Time it (if possible) so your cooked pasta doesn’t sit idle in a colander. It will get stick and dry and be a mess.
What You Will Need to Make Creamy Chicken Marsala:
- A large skillet– most of the work gets done in one large skillet.
- A large saucepan or pot– for cooking the pasta
- Kitchen tongs– great for adding things to hot skillets, as well as picking up cooked pasta out of water.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Check out more of our favorite chicken recipes:
Creamy Chicken Marsala
- 1 pound fettuccine pasta
- 2 chicken cutlets
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms, aka crimiis
- 3/4 cup marsala wine
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the fettuccine until al dente, drain and set aside.
- While preparing the pasta, start the chicken. Season the chicken cutlets on both sides with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Spread the flour on a dinner plate and evenly coat the chicken.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. After adding the olive oil to the pan, sauté the chicken until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and tent with foil.
- Add the butter to the pan. Stir in the mushrooms and sprinkle lightly with salt (this will draw out moisture). Sauté until golden brown.
- Deglaze the pan with the marsala wine. Simmer until reduced by half, then pour in the cream. Bring back up to a simmer until thickened.
- Return the chicken cutlets to the pan and spoon sauce over top. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until they have finished cooking through.
- Serve chicken and mushrooms over cooked fettuccine, with sauce ladled over top.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.