Bacon Cheeseburger Soup is loaded with thick cut bacon, seasoned ground beef, and a beer cheese broth that is outrageously delicious! Make this simple hamburger cheese soup in just 30 minutes – perfect for a game day meal!! Make yourself a warm bowl of soup!
This easy cheeseburger soup is the perfect dinner option for cold winter nights because the rich flavors are so comforting.
Add a bit of beer to the broth, and you’ll have a whole new flavor to appreciate!!
This is my favorite soup and a great way to get that good cheeseburger flavor in every single bite.
I also love having this on hand for busy weeknights as this hearty soup recipe really is the perfect soup.
You can make a big pot of soup to share a great meal with family and friends, or create a smaller batch of this flavorful soup for just yourself.
And yes, I always add a tons more shredded cheese to my own bowl of soup because I can’t get enough of that cheesy flavor.
Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
The combination of ground beef, crispy bacon, and gooey cheese makes this bacon cheeseburger soup recipe a favorite!
When you are craving soup, consider my Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup, it’s so simple!
Or, when you are in the mood for takeout but don’t want to leave the house, try this Zuppa Toscana Soup.
Easy Cheeseburger Soup Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Ground beef – You could easily substitute your favorite sausage, or I have another version of bacon beer cheese soup with chicken that’s just as delicious!
- Montreal steak seasoning – This blend is fantastic on just about anything. It includes garlic, coriander, dill seed, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
Any major store should carry it, or you can find recipes online for a homemade substitute.
- Beer – I like Blue Moon in this recipe, but any Hefeweizen or pale ale would work nicely.
- Half and half – A popular US product made from equal parts heavy cream and milk. Make your own as needed, or substitute one or the other.
All cream will make the soup richer, while all milk will tone it down a bit.
- Toppings – Try croutons, pickles, green onion, yellow onion, more bacon, bell peppers, or even sliced red onion.
If you like heat, try a dash of hot sauce or jalapenos! Don’t forget that spices like garlic powder and extra cheese are never a bad idea.
You can also dice up and add brown potatoes as part of the flavor. Add whatever you want for your own personal consumption.
To see this bacon cheeseburger soup recipe step by step, watch the video! Look for it in the recipe card, at the bottom of this post.
How To Make Beer Cheese Soup
First, crisp the bacon and brown the ground beef in your pot. Then, season and deglaze with the beer.
Simmer with the half and half and stir in the cheese until melted. It’s that simple!
Bacon Cheeseburger Soup FAQ
Heat the leftover hamburger cheese soup in bursts in the microwave, or on the stove over low heat until warmed through.
Stir frequently so it heats evenly and doesn’t separate, and add a splash of broth to thin it out if needed.
Because so much of the beer cheese soup is half and half and cheese, I wouldn’t recommend it.
Dairy is notorious for separating when once thawed and reheated, so the texture of this soup would probably become unpleasant.
The beer lends a flavor that you will not get with other liquids, and the alcohol cooks off either way.
However, feel free to replace it with beef or chicken stock for an alcohol free version of this easy cheeseburger soup.
I don’t see why not! I would recommend making the bacon and ground beef on the stove as directed and still deglaze the pan with the beer.
Then, combine the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or until the cheese is fully melted.
You bet. This comforting soup is a great recipe because it’s really versatile. I like to use lean ground beef because the entire family likes it, but you can also use turkey meat or any other ground meat for this dish.
It’s a great idea to mix and match flavors on some of your favorite recipes so that you can try out other easy ways to make a decadent soup.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Great Game Day Foods
Bacon Cheeseburger Beer Cheese Soup Recipe + Video
- 12 ounces thick cut bacon, uncooked
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Montreal steak seasoning
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 12 ounce beer, (I used Blue Moon)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
- 16 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- bacon bits
- shredded cheddar cheese
- dill pickle chips
- Warm an 8 quart pot over medium-high heat. Using clean scissors, cut bacon into pot. Cook bacon until lightly crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Add ground beef to the pot and use a wooden spoon to break up any large pieces. Cook until browned, about 8 minutes, stirring and draining excess grease as necessary. After meat is cooked, you only need about 2 tablespoons of drippings in the pan. Tip for removing drippings: Scrape all meat to one side, then tilt the pan. Drippings will pool on the side. Use a large spoon to remove drippings as necessary.
- Add in flour, seasoning and paprika and stir until meat is coated with flour. Add beer and scrape the bottom of the pot with a spoon to deglaze the pan. Add chicken broth allow soup to cook for 3 minutes. Stir in half & half to combine. Increase burner heat slightly to bring contents to a bubble, then reduce heat to low. Add cheese and stir continuously until cheese is melted. Allow to cook on low until ready to serve, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with croutons, bacon, shredded cheese, pickles, or other favorite burger toppings of your choice.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published October 2013, updated and republished February 2024
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.