Crockpot chicken taco soup infuses meat, beans, and vegetables with your favorite Mexican flavors. Make this slow cooker soup recipe tonight!
Recipes Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup
Not only is taco soup with chicken easy to make, but it feeds a crowd and you can enjoy it at any time of year.
Both use fresh ingredients, require minimal effort, and are ready in just a few hours!
For something more sophisticated, try my French Onion Soup instead. It’s flavored with homemade caramelized onions and topped with a cheesy baguette slice.
How To Make Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup
Simply combine all of the ingredients in your crockpot and cook until done! Whisk the liquids and seasonings in the bottom first so you won’t have an extra bowl to clean.
About 30 minutes before serving, remove the chicken and shred before returning to the crock. Enjoy it as-is or add your favorite toppings.
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Swap out the chicken. You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs if you prefer darker meat or try turkey breast instead.
- Want easy cleanup? Place a liner in the crock pot before adding the ingredients. When it’s time to do dishes, just pull it out and toss it in the trash!
- Use homemade seasoning. Replace one store bought packet with 2 tablespoons of my taco seasoning blend.
- Tip for easier shredding: Use an electric mixer to shred the chicken in seconds instead of doing it by hand.
Sprinkle shredded cheese or tortilla strips over the top to make this slow cooker soup recipe extra delicious.
It would also taste great with some chopped cilantro or diced avocado. Or, add a dollop of sour cream or Mexican crema to give the meal a creamy texture.
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
Is it safe to cook frozen chicken in a crock pot?
According to USDA, frozen chicken needs to be thawed in the refrigerator before it is cooked in a crock pot.
Otherwise, the meat will take too long to reach a safe internal temperature which can cause harmful bacteria to grow.
Can I freeze taco soup?
Absolutely! Allow the dish to cool before transferring to a sealed container. Leave some room at the top for the liquid to expand as it freezes.
Freeze for up to 3 months and thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 12 ounces frozen sweet corn
- 15 ounce can black beans, not drained
- 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 8 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 10 ounce can rotel diced tomatoes & green chilies
- 15 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- Sour Cream
- Chipotle Cheese Tortilla strips
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional: Prepare a 6 quart slow cooker with a plastic liner for easy cleanup.
- Whisk the chicken broth, taco seasoning and tomato paste in the slow cooker. Lay the chicken breasts in the liquid and pour the remaining ingredients into the slow cooker. Stir everything together and cook on high for 5 hours or low for 7 hours. Remove the chicken breasts, shred them with a fork or a hand mixer and stir them back into the soup. Cook for another 30 minutes, until the chicken is completely done.
- Serve hot with your favorite toppings like chipotle cheese tortilla strips, cheese, sour cream or cilantro.
- Store refrigerated in an airtight container. Makes 8 heaping 1 cup servings.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published February 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.