Taco Bell Chicken Quesadilla is just the thing you need to warm up at the end of the day! Save this easy copycat Taco Bell chicken quesadilla recipe for when you want something totally cheesy, super saucy, and ridiculously scrumptious for dinner.
I can’t resist a good Taco Bell® copycat recipe. Why go to the drive through when you can just as easily make it in your own kitchen?
And it just doesn’t get easier than this meal right here. If you have tortillas, chicken, cheese, and a little bit of time, then you have a tasty dinner just waiting to be made!
Taco Bell Chicken Quesadilla
Taco Bell recipes are always ridiculously delicious, and this one is no exception.
Savory and spicy seasoned chicken, ooey gooey Mexican cheese, and a zesty creamy jalapeno sauce tucked inside of soft flour tortillas. The best part? My favorite copycat recipe is the Black Bean Quesarito, it is so full of flavor!
It can all be whipped up in no time flat!!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Shredded Chicken – For me, the easiest (and most delicious!) way to get good shredded chicken is by making crockpot shredded chicken.
You could also get a rotisserie chicken and shred that, or use any other cooked chicken.
- Tex Mex Seasoning – A garlicky, oniony, peppery, and earthy blend that’s almost too easy to make at home!
- Pickled Jalapeño Brine – You can find pickled jalapeños in any Mexican market or down the international foods aisle.
And if you find jalapeños too overpowering, swap them out with pickled banana peppers instead!
- Grated Cheese – I like using Colby Jack because it’s a bit sweet, a bit sharp, and super smooth. If you can, grate it fresh! It really makes a difference.
- Tortillas – You want large, “burrito” size tortillas to make substantial quesadillas that can hold all of the meat and cheese we’re piling on.
Stick with flour tortillas for the right texture.
Taco Bell Chicken Quesadilla Recipe Tips and Notes
Wrap and microwave before serving.
Don’t skip the final step of wrapping the copycat Taco Bell quesadilla in a damp paper towel to microwave it.
Not only does this melt the cheese, but it will get the wrap super soft! In fact, this is a great rule for reheating any burrito or quesadilla.
Want vegetarian quesadillas?
Chicken and cheese quesadillas are so customizable! You can swap the meat for any veggies of your choice.
Mushrooms, bell peppers, and jalapeños are the first choices that come to mind to help fill you up and add some texture.
Or, use lentils or another meat-free protein if you prefer!
Fry them for a crunchy exterior.
Some people prefer a quesadilla with a crisp outer shell. If this is you, then lay your Taco Bell quesadilla in a lightly oiled pan on medium heat.
Cook for just a couple of minutes on each side.
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
I recommend storing each ingredient individually – meat, cheese, and sauce – and assembling as desired.
In this case, you should microwave the chicken until warmed and then proceed with the steps as normal.
If reheating Taco Bell quesadillas whole, you can do so the same way that you made them: wrap them up in a moist paper towel and microwave until the cheese is nice and melty.
Or, if you prefer the crispy texture, give them a few minutes in a pan.
Taco Bell Chicken Quesadilla FAQ
Believe it or not, not a whole lot! You just need some Tex Mex seasoning, shredded cheese, sour cream, mayo, and some jalapeño juice.
And, of course, your favorite tortilla.
But this homemade Taco Bell chicken quesadilla recipe is super easy to make and only takes 15 minutes – not even!
Much quicker than going to buy one from the restaurant.
Don’t let the jalapeño brine fool you – this sauce is not at all overwhelmingly spicy.
The sour cream and mayonnaise do an excellent job of cooling things down while also giving the sauce that smooth, creamy texture.
If you want it to be spicy, then you can add a bit of hot sauce, red pepper flakes, or plain black pepper.
For this easy chicken quesadilla recipe, I recommend Colby Jack or a Mexican blend.
Purely because of the way these cheeses work with the flavors at hand here! But you can always use cheddar or Monterey Jack as well.
The key is to pick a cheese that melts easily and won’t make the tortilla soggy.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Taco Bell Copycat Recipes
Taco Bell Quesadilla (Chicken)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Tex-Mex seasoning
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeno brine
- 8 flour tortillas, burrito-size
- 4 cups freshly grated colby jack cheese, or Mexican blend
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast, (See Notes)
- In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, Tex Mex seasoning, and jalapeno brine to make the Taco Bell Quesadilla Sauce.
- Place one flour tortilla on a microwave-safe plate. Sprinkle with a cup of grated cheese and ½ cup of shredded chicken.
- Drizzle with desired amount of quesadilla sauce – ¼ cup is a good starting point. Top with a second flour tortilla.
- Wrap the quesadilla lightly in paper towels and place in the microwave. Cook on high power for an initial 60 seconds, then for 30-seconds at a time until the cheese completely melts.
- Serve while hot, and enjoy!
Adjust the amounts of the fillings to taste. This recipe calls for a generous amount of cheese, for an extra cheesy quesadilla. This can be reduced for a more health-friendly quesadilla. Wrapping the quesadilla in paper towels before microwaving helps retain moisture in the tortilla and prevents them from drying out or getting crispy at the edges.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published August 2022
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.