Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe is pure comfort food. It has the perfect balance of hearty ingredients and incredible flavor.
The aroma of simmering soup is going to have you drooling! That first bite of tomato based soup with tender beef, bell peppers, delicious seasonings, and rice make it hard to resist.
Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe
While stuffed bell pepper soup is ridiculously simple to make, you do need to plan ahead a little bit. It does take at least 45 minutes to simmer, but it’s so worth every second!
If you are in a bit of a hurry, make a batch of my Italian basil sausage soup! It cooks up in 30 minutes and tastes fantastic. Or if you are craving something with classic flavors go for my crockpot potato soup or homemade chicken noodle.
Step by Step Instructions
- Cook the ground beef. First, heat oil in a Dutch oven or pot. Then brown the seasoned ground beef until it’s almost done.
- Sauté the veggies. Toss in the diced onions and cook until they are done. Mix in the bell peppers and once they are soft, stir in the seasonings, broth, and tomato sauce.
- After it comes to a boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 45-60 minutes.
- Cook the rice. You can make your stuffed pepper soup with either brown or white rice.
- Add the rice. Mix in your cooked rice and serve your soup with some crusty bread. Enjoy!
Helpful Tips & Tricks
- Cut veggies the same size. When chopping the bell peppers and onions, it’s important to make uniform cuts that are bite-sized. You can use a mandolin slicer or a really sharp knife. This will ensure everything cooks evenly.
- Don’t drain the tomatoes. There is a lot of flavor in the juice of canned tomatoes. Add that to the pot to make it taste even better.
- Save time meal prepping. Chop all the veggies when you get home from the store and keep them in the fridge until you are ready to cook the recipe.
- Out of red peppers? No problem! You simply need around 2 cups of diced bell peppers. It doesn’t matter if they are green or red. Just make note that red peppers are sweeter than green.
Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe FAQ
How do you store leftover soup?
Let it cool down all the way, then pour it into airtight food storage containers. You can use one large container or smaller ones for individual servings. This stuffed bell pepper soup lasts around 4 days in the fridge. Or it can be frozen in a gallon-sized Ziploc bag for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge before reheating.
NOTE: If you are planning to make leftovers, don’t add the rice until you are ready to serve it because it will turn mushy.
Can I use different broth?
Yes, vegetable broth or chicken broth are great alternatives. The flavor will change slightly, but it will still be delicious.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Do you ❤️ TSRI? Don’t miss another recipe!
Subscribe to The Slow Roasted Italian by email to receive new recipes in your inbox!!
Other Bell Pepper Recipes
- Italian Sliders (Sausage and Peppers)
- Crock Pot Stuffed Peppers
- Light Greek Stuffed Peppers
- Cheesy Italian Stuffed Peppers
Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup onion, 1 small onion, diced – yellow or white
- 1 large green bell pepper, cleaned and chopped ** see notes
- 1 large red bell pepper, cleaned and chopped
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups cooked rice, white or brown
- Heat oil in dutch oven or large pot
- Add ground beef, salt and pepper and cooked until almost done
- Add diced onion and cook until soft
- Add peppers and cook over medium-high heat until soft, about 5-8 minutes
- Add brown sugar, Italian seasoning and garlic, continue stirring and cook 1 minute
- Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and beef broth, stir until well combined
- Bring mixture to a boil
- Reduce to simmer and cover
- Cook for 45-60 minutes or until heated through and flavors have had a chance to blend well
- Stir in cooked rice and serve immediately.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published August 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.
I tried this delicious soup before and I love it, especially in a cold winter time. I'll definitely make this soup and follow your recipe for me and my two boys. Lyndon
Thanks so much! We are happy you enjoyed it!
How much rice?
It is 2 cups cooked rice, white or brown. You can always find the ingredients in the recipe card above, hope that helps!
I love this soup. I'm making it a third time in the last three months. Do you have the nutritional information on it. I'm on Weight watchers and don't want to eat too much at a time.
Very yummy. Warm and comforting, I love it.
Oh man mine turned out a potpourri of ingredients not realizing I didn’t have tomato sauce nor enough diced tomatoes and no Italian seasoning! So I used Italian dressing and spaghetti sauce, added can of black and red kidney beans! Omgosh, not too shabby! I lavished with shredded mozzarella! Delicious!
Great comfort food! It freezes beautifully too.
Can you do this in a slow cooker?
Do you drain the meat? Will it be to greasy
I loved this! Didn’t have diced tomatoes, so I used spaghetti sauce and it was so good! Might try it with ground Italian sausage for a little extra boost!
This turned out AMAZING! Wow, just made it today. I added red pepper flakes to it to give a little heat and some mozzarella cheese on top when serving. Definitely will make again 😘 thank you for the recipe!
Thank you so much! We are so happy you enjoyed it!
TSRI Team Member,
I plan on making this for dinner tonight- do you drain the meat? Will it be too greasy if you don’t?