My lemonade cocktail is super simple and refreshing – with just 4 ingredients! And trust me this ain’t your grandma’s lemonade. Whip up this sweet and sour boozy drink to beat the heat!
Of all the summer cocktails out there, spiked lemonade is absolutely my favorite. After all, is there anything more refreshing than a nice lemonade cocktail on a warm summer day?
Tangy and sweet, I love pairing this boozy drink with a whole variety of summertime dishes. A decadent, rich chocolate dessert or a delicious summer salad would be just the thing.
Or both! Why hold back? This drink is good with just about anything.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Make a whole gallon.
Need enough for a whole party? Just maintain the right ratio of vodka to 7-Up! For every 6 ounces of vodka, add another 8-16 ounces of the soda per your preference.
Make a pink lemonade cocktail with a dash of cranberry juice or grenadine. Some strawberries or cherries would also be very cute and refreshing.
Invest in your ingredients.
Using good quality ingredients makes all the difference in the world, and this is especially the case with drinks! Use a premium vodka for a premium cocktail.
Feeling fresh and herbaceous?
A sprig of mint or basil pairs beautifully with lemons and will add a pleasant twist to the cocktail.
Ingredients Needed For Spiked Lemonade
- Lemons – So what’s the best lemon to use for mixed drinks? I recommend a nice Meyer lemon. They’re nice and sweet, and have thinner skin than most other variations. Eureka lemons could make a good substitute as well.
- Vodka – Common vodka brands to use in cocktails are Smirnoff and Grey Goose. As I said before, make an effort to use good quality vodka!
- 7-Up – A sweet and bubbly lemon-lime soda! You can use Sprite as a substitute, or ginger ale for a less sweet drink.
- Ice – Don’t skip out on the ice! Mix more for a less strong drink, and mix just a bit to avoid over dilution. Don’t want it watered down at all? Use frozen lemons or strawberries!
This recipe serves two, so have two large glasses on standby.
Lemonade Cocktail FAQ
Can you make a non-alcoholic spiked lemonade?
Sure! Just replace the vodka with more 7-Up or seltzer water.
How do you “muddle” a cocktail?
“Muddling” for a drink is simply mashing up whatever fruit or herbs you’re using. A muddler would certainly be helpful, but a mortar and pestle or even a plain potato masher will do the trick.
Basically, you want to shred the lemon until it’s a pulpy, thick juice.
Can I use lemon juice instead of fresh lemons in cocktails?
You certainly could, though it takes away from the freshness of the drink, in my opinion. Substitute one lemon with two tablespoons of juice.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Other Perfect Summer Cocktails
Perfect Lemonade Cocktail
- 5 small lemons, sliced thin (divided)
- 6 ounces premium vodka
- 10 ounces 7-Up, or more or less, to taste
- 8 ice cubes
- Fill a large glass (approximately 20 ounces) with the slices from 4 lemons. Add vodka and allow to set for 15 minutes.Using a muddler or similar instrument, muddle lemons thoroughly. Your lemons should be shredded when done.
- To two tall drink glasses, add 4 ice cubes to each, add half of the remaining lemon slices to each, pour half of the lemon vodka mixture through a strainer and into each glass. Add 4-8 ounces of 7-Up to each glass; stir gently to combine, and serve cold.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published May 2013, updated and republished March 2022
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.