This amaretto sour recipe has only two ingredients but creates one incredible taste. Make it in a snap – it’s sure to become your “go-to” cocktail!
An amaretto sour drink is the perfect cocktail to add to your repertoire. It’s so simple and classic – this no frills drink can be sipped in the sun with friends or enjoyed as a nightcap.
The best part about this recipe is how straightforward it is. If you have a decently stocked bar, you’re sure to already have everything you need on hand.
Amaretto Sour Recipe
I doubt you’ll find an easier cocktail to whip up than this one!
Add ice, DiSaronno® amaretto (my personal favorite), and your freshly squeezed lemon juice into a cocktail shaker.
Shake well so it gets nice and chilled. Pour it into a glass, ice and all, and garnish with a slice of lemon!
Looking for more simple cocktail recipes? Enjoy a classic rum and coke or a refreshing Jack Daniel’s sweet tea. While I am a huge fan of over-the-top dessert cocktails and holiday themed cocktails, sometimes simplicity is truly the way to go.
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Cocktails
- Keep that bold flavor. Make ice cubes out of lemon juice or sour mix to avoid a watered down drink.
- Use fresh juice! Bottled lemon juice tends to have an unpleasant aftertaste. Trust me, it’s worth it to squeeze your own!
- Sweeten it up. Including some simple syrup with the amaretto sour recipe will take the edge off of the bitter taste.
- No cocktail shaker? No worries! You can easily use a mason jar with a lid or two glasses stacked together just like the pros do.
- Add soda. If the flavor is too strong for you, top it off with a lemon-lime soda so it’s a bit softer on your palette.
- Make it look good. You can garnish your DiSaronno sour with a slice of lemon, lime, or orange. Even a maraschino cherry will do!
Kitchen Tools You Will Need
- Cocktail Shaker – I’ve had this one for years and it always gets the job done!
- Citrus Juicer – This gets every last drop out, which makes juicing lemons so much easier.
- High Ball Glasses
- Large Pitcher – This 80-ounce pitcher will let your drink be the star of the show.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Amaretto Sour Recipe FAQ
Amaretto is an Italian almond-flavored liqueur. Despite it’s nutty flavor, it does not contain any nuts! It is made with the kernels from inside apricot pits, which produces an extremely distinct flavor that is both sweet and bitter.
This amaretto cocktail has the perfect balance of sweet and tart, like a boozy version of the perfect lemonade. Even better, you can easily adjust the amounts to suit your preference for either flavor.
Can I make an amaretto sour ahead of time?
Yes! If this is your contribution to a gathering, you can pre-batch them individually or fix a large pitcher so guests can pour their own.
Also, put together a tray of garnish options so they can really make each drink their own!
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Fabulous Cocktails
Amaretto Sour Recipe
- 2 ounces DiSaronno Amaretto Liqueur
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup ice
- 1 lemon, or lime slice for garnish
- Add ice, amaretto and lemon juice to a cocktail shaker. Shake and serve (pouring ice into glass with drink). Garnish with lemon slice.
- Enjoy and repeat as desired!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published May 2012, updated and republished January 2022
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.