Lava Flow Drink
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Lava Flow Drink combines two delicious Hawaiian cocktails into one! Beat the summer heat with one of these refreshing frozen cocktails!
Do I want a piña colada, or do I want a daiquiri? When I just can’t decide, I whip up a frozen lava flow drink. It’s the best of both worlds – or, rather, the best of both Hawaiian cocktails!
To make this absolutely scrumptious summertime drink, I blend up a handful of frozen strawberries and lime juice with simple syrup and a splash of rum. Then, I mix up a frozen piña colada with – you guessed it – some pineapple juice, coconut milk, and rum.
Serve both in the same glass, and enjoy both of your favorite pool drinks rolled into one!
Lava Flow Drink
Coming up with new, fun cocktail recipes is one of my favorite summer pastimes. The list doesn’t end with this lava flow drink recipe!
If you’re not one to mix, then enjoy a simple piña colada or daiquiri on its own.
Feeling the love for frozen cocktails these days? I don’t blame you! Check out 8 Favorite Frozen Cocktails to make and sip on all summer long.
A great cocktail should also be served with a couple of great snacks, in my opinion! Since this is a really sugary drink, some tart sweets like lemon bars would be perfect.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- White Rum & Coconut Rum – White rum, for the daiquiri, is a sweet alcohol made from molasses or sugar cane. You can’t go wrong with Bacardi or Captain Morgan!
Another option is coconut rum, which is even sweeter and adds even more coconut flavor to the piña colada. Don’t want to buy two kinds of rum? You can use all coconut!
- Simple Syrup – This is incredibly simple to make at home: simply heat equal parts sugar and water in a saucepan until the sugar dissolves.
- Lime Juice – It’s so much more refreshing to squeeze your own at home. You’ll need a couple to get enough juice for this drink. If not in season or hard to find, the concentrated juice is absolutely fine.
- Frozen Strawberries – Frozen strawberries give this drink its iconic icy texture, so I really don’t recommend using fresh. You could, of course, buy them fresh and then freeze them!
- Pineapple Juice – The piña to our colada! A timeless match for rum and coconut. There’s no swapping this ingredient out — we need it to get that distinct flavor!
- Coconut Milk – Don’t like your drinks too sweet? Try using coconut cream instead! It’s not as sugary, and it’s even creamier, making for an even more decadent drink.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Do you ❤️ TSRI? Don’t miss another recipe!
Subscribe to The Slow Roasted Italian by email to receive new recipes in your inbox!!
Kitchen Tools You Will Need
- Blender – A high power blender is a must in every kitchen.
- Citrus juicer – This gets every last drop out, which makes juicing limes so much easier.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons – You may be tempted to eyeball the amounts, but I recommend using the proper tools so it comes out just right.
Lava Flow Drink FAQ
It’s two tropical cocktails in one: strawberry daiquiri on the bottom, and pina colada on top! They’re also blended frozen, for an incredibly refreshing summer drink.
It’s called “lava flow” because that’s exactly what it looks like – flowing lava! Red on the bottom, white on top. It’s a gorgeous cocktail!
Absolutely! Turn this cocktail into a virgin lava flow mocktail by simply leaving out the rum.
Can I make the Hawaiian cocktails without blending them?
Of course. Serve over the rocks if you don’t want to bother blending! However, you will find that the two Hawaiian cocktails combine in your glass if you go this route. It’s still delicious, just not as visually stunning.
Prep Ahead Instructions
This is a blended frozen drink, so you can really only make it so far in advance without losing texture and flavor.
To prep ahead, I recommend pre-mixing the daiquiris and the pina colada in separate pitchers. Keep them refrigerated and then blend them together with the ice once you’re ready to serve.
You will also want to wait to blend the strawberries into the daiquiris until ready to serve as well, to keep them from getting mushy.
How To Store Lava Flow Drink
Really, this isn’t a recipe that you want to have leftovers for. It’s a frozen drink and will melt in the refrigerator. It’ll also lose its texture if frozen and then re-blended… though you totally could if you really wanted to!
Instead, just do as I advise above – prep the liquid, and save the frozen stuff for later. The liquid mixes can be refrigerated in a pitcher for up to 5 days. (But it’s always better fresh!)
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Other Fabulous Frozen Cocktails
- Perfectly Peach Frozen Margarita
- Strawberry Wine Ice Cream Float
- Frozen Margarita Recipe
- Kahlua Mudslide
Lava Flow Drink
- 3 ounces white rum
- 2 tablespoon simple syrup
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 12 ounces pineapple juice
- 6 ounces coconut milk, canned
- 3 ounces coconut rum
- 3 cup ice cubes
- In a high speed blender or food processor, combine the rum, simple syrup, lime juice, and strawberries. Blend this mixture until it comes out smooth.
- Pour about 1 inch of the daiquiri mixture into each glass.
- Rinse your blender out so there is no strawberry daiquiri left.
- Add pineapple juice, rum, coconut milk, and ice into the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the pina colada mixture over the daiquiri, allowing them to mix slightly.
- Garnish the rim of each glass with a pineapple slice and a fresh strawberry. Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published May 2022.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us – it allows us to keep creating new recipes.
This is such a great frozen cocktail for summer. Keeps you cool and tastes so refreshing.