This Lava Flow Drink combines two delicious Hawaiian cocktails into one! Beat the summer heat with one of these refreshing frozen cocktails!
Lava Flow Drink
To make this absolutely scrumptious lava flow cocktail, start by blending up a handful of frozen strawberries and lime juice with simple syrup and a splash of rum.
Then, mix up a frozen piña colada with – you guessed it – some pineapple juice, coconut milk, and rum.
Layer the two mixtures in the same glass, and enjoy both of your favorite pool drinks rolled into one!
Coming up with new, fun cocktail recipes is one of my favorite summer pastimes. The list doesn’t end with this lava flow drink recipe!
Feeling the love for frozen cocktails these days? I don’t blame you! Check out my 8 Favorite Frozen Cocktails to make and sip on all summer long.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- White Rum & Coconut Rum – White rum, for the daiquiri, is a sweet alcohol made from molasses or sugar cane. You can’t go wrong with Bacardi or Captain Morgan!
Coconut rum is even sweeter and adds plenty of coconut flavor to the piña colada. Don’t want to buy two kinds of rum? You can use all coconut!
- Simple Syrup – This is incredibly simple to make at home: heat equal parts sugar and water in a saucepan until the sugar dissolves.
- Lime Juice – It’s so much more refreshing to squeeze your own at home. You’ll need a couple to get enough juice for this lava drink.
If not in season or hard to find, the concentrated juice is absolutely fine.
- Frozen Strawberries – Frozen strawberries give this cocktail its iconic icy texture, so I really don’t recommend using fresh.
You could, of course, buy them fresh and then freeze them!
- Pineapple Juice – The piña to our colada! A timeless match for rum and coconut. There’s no swapping this ingredient out — we need it to get that distinct flavor!
- Coconut Milk – Don’t like your drinks too sweet? Try using coconut cream instead!
It’s not as sugary, and it’s even creamier, making for an even more decadent lava flow drink.
Add A Garnish!
A little flair goes a long way when serving cocktails! Start by serving each lava flow cocktail in a tall hurricane glass.
Then, adorn the rim with a wedge of pineapple and fresh strawberry, or even a paper drink umbrella.
Want something more unique? Edible flowers are all the rage at craft cocktail bars, and they would look lovely with this lava drink.
Be sure to place them on a skewer instead of directly in the glass.
Kitchen Tools You Will Need
- Blender – A high power blender is a must in every kitchen.
- Citrus juicer – This gets every last drop out, which makes juicing limes so much easier.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons – You may be tempted to eyeball the amounts, but I recommend using the proper tools so it comes out just right.
Lava Flow Drink Recipe FAQ
What is a lava flow?
It’s two tropical cocktails in one: strawberry daiquiri on the bottom, and pina colada on top! They’re also blended frozen, for an incredibly refreshing summer drink.
It’s called a lava flow cocktail because that’s exactly what it looks like – flowing lava! Red on the bottom, white on top. It’s a gorgeous drink!
How do you make a virgin lava flow drink?
Use this lava flow recipe to make a lava flow mocktail, but simply leave out the rum.
You can also replace the rum in the daiquiri with pineapple juice and use extra coconut milk in the piña colada.
Can I make this lava flow recipe without a blender?
Of course. Serve over the rocks if you don’t want to bother blending!
However, you will find that the two different cocktails combine immediately in your glass if you go this route. Your lava drink will still be delicious, just not as visually stunning.
Prep Ahead Instructions
This is a blended frozen drink, so you can really only make this lava flow recipe so far in advance without losing texture and flavor.
To prep ahead, I recommend pre-mixing the daiquiris and the pina colada in separate pitchers.
Keep them refrigerated, then blend them together with the ice once you’re ready to serve.
You will also want to wait to blend the strawberries into the daiquiris until ready to serve as well, to keep them from getting mushy.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Fabulous Frozen Cocktails
Lava Flow Drink
- 3 ounces white rum
- 2 tablespoon simple syrup
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 12 ounces pineapple juice
- 6 ounces coconut milk, canned
- 3 ounces coconut rum
- 3 cup ice cubes
- In a high speed blender or food processor, combine the rum, simple syrup, lime juice, and strawberries. Blend this mixture until it comes out smooth.
- Pour about 1 inch of the daiquiri mixture into each glass.
- Rinse your blender out so there is no strawberry daiquiri left.
- Add pineapple juice, rum, coconut milk, and ice into the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the pina colada mixture over the daiquiri, allowing them to mix slightly.
- Garnish the rim of each glass with a pineapple slice and a fresh strawberry. Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published May 2022, updated and republished April 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us – it allows us to keep creating new recipes.