Hot Cocoa Fudge
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This easy fudge recipe makes a cozy treat that tastes like hot cocoa with marshmallows! Make some for yourself or to give as holiday gifts.
Hot Cocoa Fudge
This recipe is SO simple to make! Mix your favorite hot chocolate drink mix with melted chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk for a rich, chocolatey treat.
Then, sprinkle on some crushed peppermint candy to add a festive touch!
Since this fudge recipe with marshmallows makes a smaller batch, it requires minimal effort and won’t take up a ton of fridge space.
Pair it with some Christmas Candy Cane Fudge, which combines crushed peppermint candy with creamy white chocolate, or this delicious sugar cookie fudge.
Mint Chocolate Fudge is bursting with three different kinds of mint candies, for a refreshing treat with plenty of texture.
Or if you’re not a fan of mint flavor, try Reese’s Peanut Butter Fudge. It’s the perfect blend of creamy and crunchy, and you only need 4 ingredients to make it!
Easy Fudge Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Make drizzling easier. Transfer the melted chocolate to a plastic zip-top storage bag, then snip off the corner to make a homemade piping bag.
You may want to double up the bags and use one inside another; the drizzle can feel hot to the touch.
- Need a large batch? Feel free to double or triple the ingredients and use a bigger pan to make more fudge pieces.
- Tip for crushing candy canes: Place unwrapped candy in a blender or food processor and pulse until they are the correct size. You can also place them in a zippered bag and smash with a rolling pin or the bottom of a heavy pan. Freezing the candy first typically makes it shatter easier.
- Work smarter not harder. When you’re ready to slice the hot cocoa fudge, lift the foil or parchment straight out of the pan. Place on a flat surface and easily cut into evenly sized pieces.
- Get smooth, clean edges. Dip a large, sharp knife in boiling water, then dry completely. Press down on the fudge in one smooth motion to slice. The metal will retain the heat from the water and glide through the chocolate without melting it.
What You’ll Need To Make Chocolate Marshmallow Fudge
- 8×8 Pan – Since this one comes with a lid, you can stack it for better refrigerator organization.
- Double Boiler – Great for melting chocolate, making meringue and custard, or whipping up a Hollandaise sauce!
- Silicone Spatula – Withstands heat and makes the whole process much easier.
- Microwave-Safe Bowl – Not only does it make melting chocolate for this easy fudge recipe easier, but you can also use it to quickly steam vegetables!
Recipe Notes + FAQ
Storage and freezing
Keep your chocolate marshmallow fudge in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Otherwise, it may soften and melt, especially if your kitchen is particularly warm.
To freeze, wrap the pieces with plastic wrap first, then place them in a zippered storage bag. Use within 3 months for the best results, and thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
I don’t have a double boiler. What can I use instead?
Make your own on the stove by adding an inch of water to a large saucepan. Rest a shallow, heat-safe bowl, preferably glass, just inside the opening of the saucepan.
IMPORTANT: You need to be sure that the bottom of the glass bowl doesn’t touch the surface of the water.
- Bring the pot of water to a simmer. Next, place the bowl over the pan to create a seal.
- Add the ingredients to the bowl and stir just until melted and smooth. The steam will create enough heat to melt the chocolate without burning it.
Be sure not to get any water or condensation inside the bowl. Otherwise, it can cause the mixture to harden and/or become crumbly.
Is there a substitute for sweetened condensed milk?
Unfortunately, not for this easy fudge recipe. Sweetened condensed milk adds a creamy texture, and it’s also what holds everything together.
However, if you have a can of evaporated milk, you can make homemade sweetened condensed milk!
Just bring one 12-oz can of evaporated milk and 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat.
Stir it constantly as it cooks, stopping when the sugar dissolves and the milk is nice and thick; SO easy!
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram ❤ ❤ ❤
Hot Cocoa Fudge
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup hot chocolate mix, 4 packages
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups marshmallows, divided
- 1/2 cup Peppermint candy canes or crushed peppermints to garnish , optional
- Line an 8×8” pan with foil or parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips, butter, sweetened condensed milk, and hot chocolate mix.
- Microwave 1 minute at a time until ingredients are melted and smooth, stirring between each interval, about 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and stir until completely combined. Add 2 cups of marshmallows and stir in. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir.
- Pour fudge into the prepared pan and press remaining marshmallows into the top of the fudge.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Cut fudge into squares.
- Heat remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments until melted and smooth.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over fudge and sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Let cool completely.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published December 2020
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.
I will try this. Looks soo good.
when I click your print button, it just opens another tab, with this same recipe page. I can’t get to an actual print page.
I am sorry you are having trouble printing our recipe. When you click on “print recipe” another page will open showing the recipe with a GO BACK button and a PRINT button at the top of the page. Hope this helps!
TSRI Team Member,
Just like a cup of hot cocoa! It was so good and gone in minutes lol. I will have to make a bigger batch next time!