Gigi’s Apple Salad
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This apple salad with marshmallows is light, fluffy, and not too sweet. Mix up a bowl in under 15 minutes – perfect for the holidays!
Fresh fruit and creamy whipped topping transform into an easy treat that everyone will love. It’s like a dessert version of a Waldorf salad with grapes and apples and none of the celery!
Craving more nostalgia? Recreate a classic pistachio fluff! All you need are a handful of ingredients and 5 minutes of your time.
Or, try one of my decadent cheesecake salads instead. I have over a dozen flavors and combinations to choose from, each even better than the last.
How To Make Apple Salad
Cut up the apples into bite-sized pieces and combine them with halved grapes. Stir in sliced bananas and mini marshmallows, then toss it all with Cool Whip.
It doesn’t get much simpler than that!
One container of whipped topping is more than enough for a refreshing salad with grapes and apples. It coats everything lightly but doesn’t smother it.
For best results, put everything together just before serving so it’s perfectly fluffy and chilled.
Tips and Tricks
- Thaw the Cool Whip. You’ll get the best texture when thawing it in the refrigerator, which can take up to 6 hours. It should be light and fluffy so you don’t have to mash the delicate fruit to get it mixed.
- Don’t forget the lemon juice! This prevents both the apples and bananas from browning. While the firmer fruits can be prepped hours in advance, I recommend slicing the bananas just before tossing them with Cool Whip.
- Tip for quick slicing: Halve your grapes in seconds by placing them between two lids and running a knife through the center!
- Add a little crunch. Chopped walnuts or pecans would be a great way to add some texture.
- Need a larger amount? Easily double the amounts for potlucks and large holiday gatherings.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Do you ❤️ TSRI? Don’t miss another recipe!
Subscribe to The Slow Roasted Italian by email to receive new recipes in your inbox!!
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
How long does apple salad with marshmallows last in the refrigerator?
It will keep for up to a day when covered or stored in an airtight container. Any longer and the bananas will become too mushy.
Can I add other fruits?
Sure! Blueberries, strawberries, or even drained pineapple tidbits would be a great addition to this apple salad.
What can I use instead of Cool Whip?
You can make homemade whipped cream! The texture is a bit creamier, but it will do in a pinch.
Increase the heavy cream to 1 ½ cups and adjust the other ingredients accordingly. This will yield about 3 cups total, which is equivalent to an 8-ounce tub of Cool Whip.
For a dairy-free alternative, use coconut cream – it will be labeled as such. Otherwise, scoop off just the solid portion from a can of full fat coconut milk. It will whip up just as well as the heavy cream!
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram ❤ ❤ ❤
MORE FRUIT SALAD RECIPES
Red, White and Blue Cheesecake Salad
Gigi’s Apple Salad
- 1 green apple, cut into bite size pieces with the skin on (about 1 cup)
- 1 red apple, cut into bite size pieces with the skin on (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup red grapes, halved long ways
- 1 cup green grapes, halved long ways
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 3 Yellow bananas, ripe but firm (about 1 cup when sliced)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 ounce Cool Whip, thawed
- Cut red and green grapes and add to a large salad bowl.
- Cut red and green apple into bite size pieces (discard seeds and core) and toss with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Add to salad bowl.
- Peel and slice bananas. Toss with enough lemon juice to fully coat both sides of each slice. Add bananas to the salad bowl.
- Add in marshmallows and toss the salad to combine.
- Add thawed Cool Whip to the bowl and toss all to combine.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published October 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.
As a special treat you can dice a snickers bar and also add to the salad. Great surprise
Yes! We have a great recipe for a Snickers Apple Salad, so yummy! https://www.theslowroasteditalian.com/2016/10/snickers-caramel-apple-cheesecake-salad-recipe.html
This is such a nice refreshing salad. I was worried about the marshmallows but they contrasted the fruit perfectly. The cool whip pulled it all together.