Chicken Lazone combines pan-fried chicken with a luscious, creamy sauce. Make this recipe in just 30 minutes for the perfect weeknight meal!
First made famous by Brennan’s restaurant in New Orleans, this dish is one of my favorite quick dinner recipes.
Chicken breasts with seasoning are added to a pan of creamy, garlicky pasta for an elegant dinner without a ton of work.
Not only is this one pan chicken dinner quick and easy to make, but also, the ingredients to make it are most likely in your kitchen already.
For a similar flavor with an extra kick of spice, try my Jalapeno Popper Chicken Pasta. The meat is cut into bite-size pieces so you can dig right in, and it’s topped with lots of crispy bacon.
This Pesto Chicken Pasta Bake combines pesto and red sauce for a heartier pasta dish that’s just as creamy.
Ingredient notes and substitutions
- Chicken – When you’re cooking chicken, be sure it doesn’t go straight from the fridge to the pan.
If the chicken is too cold , the protein siezes during cooking. As a result, the chicken will become tough and chewy.
For the best results, keep raw chicken at room temperature for about 20 minutes before you cook it.
- Spices – Customize the seasoning mix with any of your favorite dried herbs, or add some red pepper flakes for a spicier kick. The smoked paprika is optional, but I highly recommend it as it adds great flavor.
- Pasta – I like to use fettuccine noodles, but you can also use spaghetti, angel hair, or even egg noodles.
- Heavy cream – Replace with half and half if needed.
- Add cheese – Make the sauce even more indulgent by mixing in 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan or Fontina cheese.
Spices you’ll need for making chicken with pasta
- Dried thyme – Always good to have in your pantry, and especially delicious is this recipe.
- Smoked paprika – While regular paprika will just add color to the dish, the smoked variety will also add great flavor.
- Dried rosemary – Another great pantry staple that pairs well with chicken.
FAQ: Commonly Asked Questions
Can this be made a day ahead of serving?
Absolutely! If you’ll be serving it to guests, make it no earlier than the day before. This way, it will be as fresh as possible.
Any leftovers of the chicken and pasta dinner can be kept in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days and warmed on a stove top or in a microwave.
Can I add vegetables to make it more filling?
Mushrooms and onions would be great additions to this one-pan chicken dinner. Saute them with a little extra butter before cooking the garlic and sage.
What side dishes go with chicken Lazone?
Because the dish is so filling, keep the sides simple and to a minimum.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Chicken Lazone (Skillet Chicken with Pasta) + Video
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 pound fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6-8 sage leaves
- 2 cups heavy cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- In a wide, deep bowl combine: salt, pepper, dried thyme, dried rosemary and paprika. Stir to combine.
- Rub chicken breast with olive oil well on each side.
- Add chicken to the seasoning mixture and coat thoroughly.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to a large skillet over medium high heat. Once the butter has melted, add chicken breasts and cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side, trying to flip the chicken once only so it sears beautifully on each side. Remove chicken from pan and set aside on a plate, cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add pasta to a large pot of boiling water season with salt, some olive oil and cook according to package instructions. Drain well.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the skillet over medium heat. Add minced garlic and sage. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in heavy cream and cook until slightly thickened, for about 4-5 minutes. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
- Remove and discard sage leaves.
- Stir in pasta and gently toss to combine.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and top with some of the cream sauce from the pan.
- If desired, sprinkle some grated parmesan on top.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.