This Spicy Chicken Pasta has loads of flavor that your entire family will love! Each bite is cheesier than the last, making it the ultimate comfort food meal. Plus, you can cook everything in the same pot for easy cleanup!
To see this jalapeno popper chicken pasta come together, be sure to watch our helpful video!
Spicy Chicken Pasta
While chicken is easy and affordable, it can be quite bland if you don’t cook it right!
Spicy chicken pasta recipes are a great way to add an extra kick to otherwise bland meat. Plus, it’s easy to adjust the level of heat to suit your taste.
Nothing is better for busy weeknights than a one pot meal, and this pasta with jalapenos packs a punch of flavor!
Crispy pieces of bacon make it extra savory, and there are oodles of cheese in every bite.
Prefer a chilled spicy chicken pasta? You’ll love my make-ahead Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad.
It’s easy to throw together and makes enough to feed a crowd or have leftovers for the week.
How to Make Jalapeno Popper Chicken Pasta
This one pot pasta recipe comes together quickly and is so easy to make.
First, brown the onions and chicken in the pan. Then, cook the pasta with jalapenos, chicken, and broth so everything is infused with flavor.
Once the pasta is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, stir in the cheese to make the sauce. It’s that simple!
Jalapeno Pasta Recipe Tips
- Prep in advance: Chop the veggies, shred the cheese, and cook the bacon up to a day in advance.
Store covered in the refrigerator until you’re ready to throw this easy jalapeno chicken recipe together.
- Shred cheese yourself: Pre-bagged shreds have a preservative that gives them a waxy texture and prevents them from melting fully.
Fresh cheese is the key to a creamy sauce — you can even add an extra 1/2 cup to make it extra cheesy!
- Adjust the heat: You can add more chili powder and jalapenos if you like spicy flavor.
For milder flavor, make sure to remove the seeds and ribs from the peppers when chopping.
- Safe Pepper Handling: Be sure to wear gloves when chopping hot peppers, especially when seeding.
The oils can irritate your skin and eyes, and it’s easy to miss some spots when washing your hands.
Storing and Reheating Jalapeno Chicken Pasta
As delicious as this chicken jalapeno pasta is hot from the stove, it’s even better as leftovers! So, save some for later and enjoy a tasty homemade lunch.
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days. When you’re ready to eat, return the stove with a splash or two of chicken broth.
Stir the jalapeno chicken pasta until the cheese is melty and everything is warmed through.
Spicy Chicken Pasta FAQ
You sure can! While we do so in order to make a spicy, cheesy one pot meal, you could simply add a few pepper slices to your pasta water to flavor the noodles.
It doesn’t get much easier than opening up your spice cabinet! Garlic and onion powder are staple seasonings, and dried herbs really go a long way.
Don’t discount salt, either. It doesn’t just add salty flavor — this simple seasoning enhances and boosts the flavors of the entire dish!
For extra heat, you can amp up this jalapeno pasta recipe with red pepper flakes, cayenne, or smoked paprika.
Yes, with a few adjustments. Boil the pasta separately according to the package instructions — you may want to use chicken broth instead of water for extra flavor.
Meanwhile, brown the onions and chicken as directed. Then, combine everything in a casserole dish and bake your spicy chicken pasta until browned and bubbly.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Easy Pasta Dinner Recipes
Spicy Chicken Pasta + Video
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup water
- 2-3 jalapeño peppers, minced
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Colby Jack cheese
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- sliced jalapeño, for garnish
- freshly chopped Italian flat leaf parsley, for garnish
- Season chicken with chili powder; set aside.
- In a 12” pan or skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and stir until soft, about 3 minutes. Add chicken to pan and cook until brown on both sides. Stir in garlic and cook one additional minute.
- Add uncooked pasta, chicken broth, water and sliced peppers. Stir then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 22 minutes.
- Uncover and cook until almost all of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 additional minutes. Remove from heat, stir in cream cheese and shredded cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with bacon, sliced jalapeños and fresh parsley. Enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.