Pizza Stuffed Chicken Breast + Video
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This stuffed chicken breast is loaded with cheese and pepperoni to satisfy your pizza cravings. Make this one pan recipe for dinner tonight!
Pizza stuffed chicken is one of those meals that you will want to add to your weeknight menu. It includes all of your favorite fixings, minus the dough!
This Meat Lovers Dip is a fun twist on the typical party food. Plus, you can easily swap out ingredients based on what you have on hand or what flavors you are craving.
Want something more unique? Try my Lemon Herb Margherita Pizza. Tender garlic and herb dough is topped with marinara, mozzarella, basil, and a sprinkle of citrus zest.
Or, serve up a warm bread bowl filled with this delicious soup. It tastes just like your favorite pepperoni pie!
Stuffed Chicken Breast – Ingredient Notes
- Chicken – I like to use larger sized breasts since they are easier to butterfly and stuff. Keep in mind that the thicker they are, the longer they will take to cook.
- Garlic – If you don’t have fresh garlic on hand, substitute 1 teaspoon of garlic powder per breast.
- Pepperoni – Feel free to replace this with salami or your favorite sliced sausage.
- Cheese – Mozzarella is my favorite for this recipe, but even white cheddar would work. For something fancier, try a mix of gruyere, romano, and provolone.
- Marinara – Choose your favorite brand or make a batch of my 5-minute marinara.
- Italian seasoning – This is optional, but it makes a big difference to the overall taste.
How To Butterfly Chicken Breasts
- Place the meat on a cutting board, lightly pressing down on the top with the palm of your hand. Slice in half lengthwise, starting on one side and stopping before you cut all the way through.
- Next, open up each piece so it lays flat and resembles butterfly wings. This allows you to easily layer the toppings and fold the meat back up before baking.
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Don’t use cold poultry. Allow the meat to warm on the counter for a bit since it will become tough if it goes into the oven cold.
- Make sure it’s cooked through. The internal temperature should reach 165°F and the juices should run clear when sliced.
- Shred cheese by hand. Bagged shreds contain an additive that gives them a waxy texture and prevents them from melting properly. Always use fresh for the best flavor and texture.
While best served over pasta, this stuffed chicken breast is delicious on its own as well. If you prefer a side, it pairs well with a simple side salad or seasoned steamed vegetables.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Do you ❤️ TSRI? Don’t miss another recipe!
Subscribe to The Slow Roasted Italian by email to receive new recipes in your inbox!!
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram ❤ ❤ ❤
MORE CHICKEN RECIPES
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Skillet Recipe
Chicken Madeira Cheesecake Factory
Watch the video to see how easy it is to make pizza stuffed chicken breast!
Pizza Stuffed Chicken Breast + Video
- 3 chicken breasts, about 1lb each
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper, to taste
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3.5 ounce package pepperoni slices
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, about 10 ounces, divided
- 2 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts and season with salt and pepper, inside and out.
- Open each chicken breast, and add 1 teaspoon of minced garlic to each one. Spread it evenly.
- Add about 5-6 pepperoni slices to each butterflied chicken breast on top of the garlic.
- Add about 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese to each chicken breast.
- Close the chicken over tightly, and transfer the chicken breasts to a lightly greased baking dish.
- Pour the marinara over top of the chicken and into the dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese, followed by the Italian seasoning, over the chicken.
- Top the dish with the remaining pepperoni slices.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is tender and fully cooked.
- You can also broil the top layer, for the last 5 minutes of baking. Watch it closely to not burn it.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published March 2018, updated and republished August 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.
Was awesome had to cook longer didn't mind that. Got to eat some of the crispy pepperoni.
would be good if you added nutritional facts too 🙂
Anyone ever used Alfredo sauce instead of marinara?
I would like to try the gruyere, romano and provolone cheese combination. Anyone have an idea of the amount/ratio of each?
Thank you for sharing this delightful recipe. I can hardly wait to try it.
This was a hit with the family!
Delicious! On me if our family favs!
Cooked this and it was good and easy, cooking time was more than what recipe called for 30 minutes top👍