Dessert has never been easier thanks to this Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake! Rich velvety chocolate cake teams up with juicy cherry pie filling for a chocolate dump cake recipe that you won’t want to miss! “Dump” all of the ingredients into your preferred baking dish and let the magic happen in the oven. SO incredibly simple!!
Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
I’ve long been a fan of the now-famous “dump cake.” The idea is simple: load all of the ingredients into a baking dish, pop it in the oven, and voila! Dessert is served.
Today, I wanted to combine a classic chocolate dump cake recipe with cherry pie filling to create this delicious chocolate cherry dump cake!
You only need 3 ingredients and about an hour to make it. It doesn’t get much better than that!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Pie Filling – Cherry chocolate dump cake is all about simplicity, which is why I’m using store-bought cherry pie filling instead of making it myself.
If you are feeling ambitious in the kitchen, you can always make it from scratch!
- Chocolate Cake Mix – I love Duncan Hines chocolate cake mix, but you can feel free to use your favorite brand.
To make things extra chocolatey, you may want to try double or triple chocolate — or Devil’s Food cake!
- Butter – You’ll need 2 whole sticks of butter for this chocolate cherry dump cake recipe. Remember to melt it before you get started!
Chocolate Dump Cake Recipe Tips & Variations
- Choosing the right cherry pie filling.
I like to use an all-natural pie filling when I can — specifically, Duncan Hines “Simply” for this dessert.
No need to worry about unnecessary added ingredients, and it tastes so fresh.
That said, feel free to grab whatever is available! Regular versions will have a more vibrant color, which may be just what you’re looking for.
- Vanilla extract can add more flavor.
Remember, you really only need 3 key ingredients to make this chocolate dump cake recipe.
But if you want to take the flavor up a notch, I suggest adding some almond or vanilla extract to the cherry pie filling.
- And nuts will add crunch!
Another fun extra to consider is chopped nuts.
Walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, or sliced almonds will add a uniquely crunchy texture to your chocolate cherry dump cake that nut lovers will adore!
Sprinkle them on top after the butter and bake as directed on the recipe card below.
Storing and Reheating Cherry Chocolate Dump Cake
Let leftovers come to room temperature before placing them in an airtight container in the fridge.
When properly stored, this chocolate cherry dump cake recipe will keep for 3-4 days.
Reheat single servings in the microwave in 30-second intervals until warmed through. You can also reheat larger portions in an oven-safe dish at 350°F for about 15 minutes.
Kitchen Tools You Will Need
- 9×13 Baking Dish – This set is one of my favorites! It comes with a lid for easy storage and is great for casseroles too.
- A sturdy silicone spatula can be used for scraping, stirring, and smoothing and is easy to clean too!
- Can Opener – It seems like a no-brainer, but a good can opener can save your hands and a lot of frustration as well!
Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake Recipe FAQ
Seasoned bakers may be skeptical about just how easy this cherry chocolate dump cake is to make!
The biggest thing to avoid is mixing the ingredients. Now, I know many of you will be tempted to mix, but leaving the ingredient unmixed is the key to a perfectly baked dump cake.
When done right, dump cakes are crusty on the outside and ooey-gooey on the inside! Make sure to let it bake until the top is dry and the filling is thick — but not too runny.
If you do find that your cherry chocolate dump cake is on the runny side, pop it back in the oven for a few minutes to continue to bake.
Absolutely! As mentioned, you can experiment with different types of chocolate cake mixes until you find your favorite.
You could also try a white or yellow cake mix, or even French vanilla. Just keep in mind that if you don’t use chocolate, it won’t be a chocolate cherry dump cake, of course!
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Dump Cake Recipes
Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
- 2- 20 ounce cans of cherry pie filling, store bought or homemade
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix, I used Duncan Hines
- 1 cup 2 sticks of butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with butter.
- Pour the cherry pie filling in the bottom of the pan and using a rubber spatula, spread it out evenly.
- Carefully sprinkle the dry cake mix evenly on top of the cherry pie filling so all of it is covered. You can gently shake the pan to help evenly distribute the cake mix.
- Pour the melted butter on top of the cake mix. Cover it as much as possible. There may be a few dry spots, and that is okay, the butter will spread more as it bakes.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the edges are bubbly and the cake is dry on top.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published October 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.