Lemon Dump Cake is an absolute flavor bonanza. This easy-to-make dump cake recipe is perfectly sweet, bursting with bright lemony freshness, and infused with lavish, velvety cream cheese. With four simple ingredients, you can have this mouthwatering lemon dump cake recipe ready in only one hour!
LEMON DUMP CAKE
Lemon dump cake is the perfect combination of tartness, sweetness, and creaminess.
It gets the name “dump cake” because all of the ingredients get “dumped” into the baking pan.
With minimal ingredients and minimal effort, you can achieve maximum flavor with this divinely delicious dump cake recipe.
INGREDIENT NOTES AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- Lemon Pie Filling – Canned lemon pie filling is the easiest, most convenient option for lemon dump cake.
Although, if you are feeling ambitious, feel free to replace the pie filling with my homemade curd!
- Boxed Cake Mix – This dump cake recipe calls for yellow cake mix, but feel free to swap that out for white, lemon, vanilla, or French vanilla.
- Cream Cheese – Making lemon dump cake with cream cheese adds a scrumptious, satiny smoothness that also mellows out the sourness of the lemon.
You can omit it if desired, but I definitely recommend keeping it in.
Choose block cream cheese rather than whipped, and don’t worry about bringing it to room temperature. It is perfectly okay to slice and use it cold for this recipe.
- Butter – A lot of recipes suggest using ¾ cup of butter.
However, I have discovered that increasing that amount to 1 cup makes lemon dump cake even more delectably decadent.
BEST DUMP CAKE RECIPE TIPS AND TRICKS
- Avoid dry pockets of cake mix. Give the pan a nice shake after you have sprinkled the cake mix on top.
This will help to evenly distribute it so every bit bakes up nicely.
- Melt the butter. Many dump cake recipes suggest adding sliced butter on top.
After many experiments, I’ve found that melted butter gets more evenly cooked results.
Simply melt the butter and drizzle it evenly over the whole cake.
- Distribute cake mix evenly. It may help to use a small measuring cup or a spoon to help accomplish this.
- Make it gluten-free. You can easily make this lemon dump cake recipe gluten-free by choosing a gluten-free cake mix and ensuring your lemon pie filling is also GF.
STORING AND REHEATING DUMP CAKE
Lemon dump cake can be made ahead of time and stays fresh for up to 4 days.
Store any leftovers at room temperature for the first day. After that, cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Allow the dessert to come to room temperature again before serving. Either let it sit on the counter for about an hour, or pop individual slices in the microwave for a few seconds if you prefer it warm.
Kitchen Tools You Will Need
This lemon dump cake requires only the simplest of ingredients and equipment. In addition to the 4 basic ingredients, gather the following items and you’ll be ready to rock.
- 9X13″ Baking Pan to bake the cake.
- A Saucepan, Ramekin, or Bowl for melting the butter.
- Cups and spoons for measuring.
- A nonstick cooking spray.
- A serving utensil like this Spatula for spreading the lemony love.
LEMON DUMP CAKE FAQ
I recommend serving lemon dump cake warm with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. That said, it is also just as delicious served cold or at room temperature.
Your lemon dump cake is done when you see the pie filling becoming hot and bubbly while the crust on top turns a toasty golden brown.
Both cobbler and dump cakes include a sweet fruity filling, but they each have a unique crust.
This dump cake recipe, and others like it, rely on boxed cake mix for the topping. Instead, cobbler is topped with a homemade biscuit or pie-like crust.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Dump Cake Recipes
Lemon Dump Cake
- 2 21 ounce cans lemon pie filling
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 8 ounce block cream cheese, sliced into small squares
- 1 cup butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9×13 pan with a light coating of cooking spray.
- Spread the lemon pie filling evenly across the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Carefully distribute half of the cake mix over the lemon filling in an even layer.
- Place the sliced cream cheese evenly over the cake mix.
- Top the cream cheese with the remaining cake mix.
- Pour the melted butter evenly over the cake mix.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50-55 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published June 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.