Walking tacos allow guests to enjoy their favorite Mexican flavors without the mess. Make this recipe for your next potluck or outdoor event!
If you’ve got a crowd to feed on a budget, then this is the recipe for you!
All of the toppings can be prepared ahead of time, and the meat can be kept warm in the crockpot until your guests arrive and you’re ready to eat.
Also known as “taco in a bag,” walking tacos are simply seasoned meat and all of your favorite toppings inside an individual-sized bag of corn chips or Doritos. Once everything is mixed together, it tastes just like a taco!
Walking tacos are especially helpful for potlucks and outdoor events since people can easily walk around with their food. Plus, all that’s needed to eat this is a fork, so cleanup is a breeze.
How To Set Up a Walking Taco Bar
- Set up a table with all of your toppings in bowls with spoons.
A long counter or kitchen island would work as well.
- Place a basket or container with small bags of chips at one end of the table.
I also place a basket of plastic forks nearby.
- Have a slow cooker with the ground beef next to the chips, and add a small plate to rest the serving spoon on.
- Serve! Guests can start at one end and add whatever they would like right into their taco in a bag!
The sky is the limit, so feel free to include anything else that may be missing from this list.
- The Classics: Shredded cheese, sour cream, shredded lettuce, salsa, cilantro
- Extra Veggies: Diced tomatoes, jalapenos, avocado, green onion, red onion, black olives
- Heartier Options: Black beans, refried beans, Mexican or cilantro rice
- Sauces and Spreads: Guacamole, hot sauce, pico de gallo, chili, cheese sauce
Walking Taco Recipe FAQ
Which chips are best for walking tacos?
Fritos are the most popular choice, since they taste closest to a classic corn tortilla shell. However, Doritos will give you a few different flavor options depending on what flavor chips you use. I like to use Doritos to make copycat style Taco Bell Doritos Locos Tacos
Can I use a different type of meat?
How many servings will this walking taco recipe make?
Plan for about ¼ cup meat per person, which means 2 pounds of meat will yield 16 portions.
However, you won’t get as many out of it if someone decides to load theirs up with extra meat. If your head count is right around 16 people, you may want to cook extra just to be safe.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Walking Tacos + Video
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup taco seasoning, homemade or from the store, 2 regular sized packets
- 1 cup water
- 16 ounces bag chips , 16 1-ounce bags, Doritos and Fritos recommended
- Shredded cheese
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- Sour cream
- Green onions
- Prepare all vegetables and toppings and set aside or refrigerate anything that needs to be chilled.
- In a large, non-stick skillet, brown ground beef over medium high heat until slightly pink. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and drain grease.
- Return to heat and stir in ¼ cup taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil, then lower to simmer for 3-5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and cover or transfer to a slow cooker on the warm setting.
- Serve with small bags of chips and your favorite toppings. To create a walking taco, crush your bag of chips, then open and top with meat, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, guacamole, or any of your other favorite toppings. Serve with plastic forks and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published March 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.