5 Ingredient Chili + Video
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
5 Ingredient Chili is packed with flavor and just enough heat to tickle your tastebuds. This classic chili recipe combines seasoned beef, tomatoes, beans, and chiles for a quick and easy meal. Make it tonight in just 15 minutes!
5 Ingredient Chili
Busy days call for lazy evenings with a bowl of delicious comfort food.
With this easy stovetop chili recipe, you can get all of the flavor of a home-cooked meal without spending hours in the kitchen.
Even better, you probably already have everything you need for this recipe right in your pantry!
Use this quick chili on our Chili Cheesy Mashed Potatoes Casserole — it is amazing!
My 7 Can Chili Soup is similar to this 5 ingredient chili but has a thinner consistency, extra veggies, and plenty of cheese. Plus, you don’t need to brown any ground beef.
Or, try my Crockpot White Chicken Chili instead. Tender chicken and white beans are cooked in a spiced broth, it’s ready and waiting for you at the end of a busy day.
Add some homemade sweet cornbread and dinner is ready!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
While every recipe is different, the key components in a classic chili recipe are beans and spices.
Many versions also include some type of cooked meat, including sausage or even shredded chicken.
For this five ingredient chili, everything is easy to find and often already in your pantry!
- Ground beef – Easily swap this out for sausage or a leaner option like ground chicken or turkey.
- Diced tomatoes – I like to use the fire roasted with garlic variety, but any diced tomatoes will do.
- Beans – Chili beans come in a seasoned sauce, which is why this quick chili recipe has so much flavor.
Feel free to use regular pinto beans and add your own spice blend if you prefer.
- Chiles – Diced green chiles add just enough heat, but you can use jalapenos instead if you want to make it spicier.
- Crushed red pepper – A little goes a long way, so taste the chili first before adding this ingredient. You can also substitute a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce.
Toppings for Five Ingredient Chili
While this stovetop chili is perfectly delicious on its own, you can add plenty more flavor and texture with a variety of toppings!
- Shredded cheese
- Green onions
- Sour cream
- Bacon crumbles
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Diced avocado
Storage and Reheating
Keep leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator and use within 3 to 4 days for best results.
You could even freeze 5 ingredient chili if you’d like! Store for up to 6 months and thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
For larger batches, portion it out into smaller containers so you use just what you need.
Reheat in the microwave or on the stove, stirring frequently until it’s completely warmed through.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Stovetop Chili
- Cut your cooking time in half.
Use precooked ground beef instead! I like to make a large amount at one time and freeze it in portions for easy meals. Then, replace 1 pound of uncooked beef with 12 ounces of cooked beef in your recipes.
- Make it heartier.
Use this five ingredient chili recipe as a starting point to make it your own! Cook some veggies in the pot until softened before combining all of the ingredients.
Onions, bell pepper, celery, and mushrooms would all be tasty!
- Need to feed a crowd?
Easily double or triple this recipe for a large gathering. You could even use it as a topping for a nacho or baked potato bar!
5 Ingredient Chili FAQ
No need to drain or rinse canned chili beans since the liquid adds to the flavor and helps to create the sauce for the chili.
Sure! Brown the meat (or use pre-cooked beef as mentioned in the tips above), then combine it in your slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients.
Cook on High for 2 to 3 hours or on Low for 4 to 5 hours. It won’t be a quick chili, but it’ll be just as tasty!
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Other Hearty Soups and Stews
5 Ingredient Chili Recipe + Video
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste, you can add more to taste at the end
- 29 ounce fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes with Garlic, 2 (14.5-ounce) cans
- 31 ounce chili beans , 2 (15.5-ounce) cans, I use S&W
- 7 ounce can diced green chiles, or 1/2 can (4-ounce) diced jalapenos
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, to taste
- In a large (4 quart) saucepan over medium-high heat, add ground beef and salt. Break the beef up with a wooden spoon or spatula. Cook until cooked through, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, beans, jalapenos and crushed red pepper flakes (to taste – use less for mild, more for hot). Stir. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Taste for flavor, if it tastes flat consider adding a little more salt (a pinch at a time).
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published February 2015, updated and republished January 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.
Hope your knee has healed completely!! It is no fun being on the injured list!
I love recipes like this….Quick, Easy and I'm sure Delicious!! Pinned it!!
You had me at "5 ingredients" how can you not love simple recipes! Pinning for later!
I just wish the videos would play. All I get are ads and no videos.
This is a good chili, however, nothing new, my mother made it the same way 70 years.
Then with a quick recipe like this, she had plenty of time to teach you "If you can't say something nice. Say NOTHING at all!".
Are the beans drained and rinsed for this recipe?
No you dont drain or rinse them, it helps with tje flavor.
Great easy recipe when one is in a hurry to get dinner on the table!
Sounds great!! I'll probably add onions, just because we love onions, but will be trying your recipe soon. I love easy recipes. Lol!!
Definitely onions 🤣
Onions absolutely. I use onions in most of my meats and vegetables
This is such a quick and easy chilli recipe! Love having a nice meal that doesn’t take forever to make
In place of the green chilies; I used as can of the Mild Ro-Tel……..Undrained along with lots of onion that I grate in order to get bits of onion along with the onion juice. Sometimes I will use part hamburger meat and pork sausage; Jimmy Dean, Owens, or store brand and maybe at times I will use Italian sausage.
Great recipe; make it your way.