S’mores Brownies combine two classic treats into one decadent dessert. Bake up a batch of marshmallow brownies today in under an hour!
Indulge yourself in a delicious combination of extra fudgy brownies topped with crunchy graham cracker pieces and gooey, toasted marshmallows.
The combination of two popular chocolatey desserts in this smores brownies recipe will blow your taste buds away!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Eggs – Pull these out of the refrigerator when you preheat the oven so they have time to come to room temperature.
Doing so will help the smores brownies rise properly in the oven and give them a better overall texture.
- Marshmallows – I find that the mini variety melts more evenly, but you can use regular-sized ones if that’s all you have on hand.
Measure out 4 cups total, then slice each one into quarters.
- Chocolate – Hershey bars will create the classic flavor we all know and love, but you can use 2 cups of milk chocolate chips (divided) or 1 cup of milk chocolate chunks in this smores brownies recipe instead.
How To Make Marshmallow Brownies
Step 1: Whisk together the brownie batter and pour it into a 9×13 pan lined with parchment.
Step 2: Break the Hershey bars into 24 segments, then press them into the batter until they are submerged.
Step 3: Place the pan into the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Step 4: Cover the brownies with a mixture of marshmallows, graham cracker pieces, and more chocolate. Place under the broiler until golden brown on top.
Step 5: Once cooled, slice s’mores brownies into 24 even pieces. Enjoy as is or serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Smores Brownies Recipe FAQ
Yes, but you will likely need to increase the cooking time by about 10 minutes to accommodate the thicker layer.Start checking your smores brownies at the 20-minute mark to be safe, and keep a close eye on them so they aren’t overdone.The marshmallow layer on top will be thicker as well, so be sure your pan is deep enough to accommodate both.
If you line the entire pan with parchment before adding the batter, you can lift the entire dessert out onto a cutting board.Spray a large knife with nonstick spray, then press down through the marshmallow brownies in straight lines to create evenly sized pieces.Or, run the knife under hot water and dry completely before slicing. The metal will retain the heat and glide through the layers like butter!
S’more brownies can be kept covered at room temperature for 2-3 days, longer if left uncut.Avoid the refrigerator since the cool air will cause the dessert to dry out and become hard.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Smores Recipes
Ultimate S’mores Brownies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6.2 ounces Hershey chocolate bars, 4 1.55 ounce bars, divided and broken into pieces
- 2 graham crackers sheets
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper, set aside.
- Place butter in a large microwave-safe mixing bowl, melt completely. Add sugar, cocoa, vanilla, and eggs. Whisk to combine well. Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk until completely combined, but do not over mix.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish. Press 24 sectioned pieces from the Hershey bars into the brownie batter. Each bar has 12 sections, you can place them in a 4×6 pattern to make them even in the pan. Press them into the batter with a spatula until they are covered. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- In a medium mixing bowl, break the remaining chocolate bars and graham crackers into bite-size pieces, stir in the marshmallows.
- Once the brownies are cooked through, pour the marshmallow mixture over the top of the brownies and spread it evenly.
- Place the brownies under the broiler until the marshmallows are golden, about 30 to 60 seconds. Don’t walk away from the oven. While broiling your food can go from zero to burnt in seconds.
- Allow the brownies to cool on a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes. Spray a knife with nonstick pan spray to help prevent the blade from sticking.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published June 2021, updated and republished June 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.