Summer Fruit Salad Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This summer fruit salad is tossed in a homemade cinnamon vanilla simple syrup. Make it as a new staple at family gatherings, picnics, and more!
A good summer fruit salad recipe is essential for any successful cookout, and this one is sure to become your new favorite!
It has a tantalizing combination of tropical flavors and fresh, ripe berries that’s guaranteed to please even the pickiest of eaters.
The subtle spice of vanilla and cinnamon in the syrup enhances all of the natural sweetness while adding a little extra interest. Try my honeydew fruit bowl, it is easy, eye catching and delicious.
Want to try a different dressing for fruit salad? I have recipes for a combination of honey and orange juice, citrus and ginger, and even one that is reminiscent of a mojito cocktail!
Summer Fruit Salad Recipe – Tips and Tricks
- Prep the dressing in advance. Homemade simple syrup will keep for up to a month in the refrigerator in a sealed jar. Feel free to make this on a different day so all you have to do is pull it out and pour it on!
- Slice grapes in batches. Halve these in no time by placing a handful between two lids and running a knife in between. Check out this post for more info.
- Quickly destem strawberries. Insert a plastic straw into the bottom and push straight up to remove both the core and leaves on top.
- Time saving tip: Cut up all of the produce the night before or morning of and add the oranges and syrup just before serving.
How To Wash Fresh Berries
Fill a large bowl with a mixture of 3 parts water to 1 part white vinegar, then place the berries in a mesh colander.
Dip the colander into the vinegar solution to wet the berries and lift back out immediately. Transfer everything to a paper towel and gently spread into a single layer to dry.
This not only removes any lingering dirt and debris, but it extends the life of the berries as well. Plus, it is gentle enough for the more delicate varieties that would otherwise be squished under the pressure of a faucet.
I recommend doing this first so they can properly dry while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
Can I double this recipe?
You sure can! It’s a great option for occasions when you will be feeding a larger crowd.
I do recommend sticking to the amounts listed for your first attempt, since these types of recipes always seem to turn out larger than expected.
How long does this summer fruit salad last in the refrigerator?
Because the mandarin oranges, kiwi, and raspberries are more delicate, I would finish it up within a day or two of making it.
Otherwise, those ingredients will begin to fall apart and the whole mixture will start to get a bit soggy.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Do you ❤️ TSRI? Don’t miss another recipe!
Subscribe to The Slow Roasted Italian by email to receive new recipes in your inbox!!
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram ❤ ❤ ❤
Summer Fruit Salad Recipe
- 11 ounce can mandarin oranges
- 1 cup grapes, halved
- 2 kiwis, chopped
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- In a small saucepan, bring simple syrup ingredients to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Chop the pineapple, strawberries, and kiwi into bite-sized pieces and add to a large bowl.
- Add the remainder of the fruit to the bowl.
- Remove cinnamon sticks from the simple syrup and pour over the fruit.
- Toss the fruit gently to stir and serve immediately for best results.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published May 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.
I loved this fruit salad. It was refreshing, sweet, and simple to make. Great for a hot summer day!