Smokehouse Smoky Barbecue Beer Burger with Caramelized Onions is a simple recipe that comes together in just 30 minutes. The burgers are a really beefy, steak-like burger prepared with a dark and smoky beer, this one is loaded with beer caramelized onions and your favorite barbecue sauce.
The sounds of summer in the air had me whipping off my grill cover and dusting off my grill this weekend. Chad has been talking about having a fine steakhouse burger all week. When I say he has been talking about it, I mean it! This is how our good nights went last evening. Me: “Goodnight baby.” Chad: “So, what do you think about having burgers tomorrow”. Really?
Once menu requests sneak into your goodnights… It’s serious.
Steakhouse Smoky Barbecue Beer Burger
I started thinking and planning my next burger masterpiece. I have really been diggin’ cooking with beer lately. I love the flavor it imparts into a dish. So, I decided to add some beer into our steakhouse burger. That and some smoky flavor create a fabulous base for this gourmet burger.
This smoky beer burger is topped with barbecue sauce, cheese and caramelized beer onions. It comes together in just 30 minutes.
Helpful Tips to make Steakhouse Smoky Barbecue Beer Burgers with Caramelized Beer Onions:
- 80/20 beef makes for the best burgers!
- Mix until just combined. Overmixing will create a tough burger and that isn’t good for anyone.
- Resist the temptation to press down on the burger with a spatula. It doesn’t make them cook faster, it just presses out the juices and all the flavor, leaving you with a dry burger. Again, no one wants that!
- Preaheat your grill to medium or medium high.
- Make a slight indentation in the center of the burger on one side to prevent it from doming up in the center. The indentation will rise as your burger cooks.
What you will need to make Steakhouse Smoky Barbecue Beer Burgers with Caramelized Beer Onions:
- A large skillet with a lid – To help the pasta cook evenly, a wide skillet works best, ideally one that’s more than 12 inches in diameter.
- Large Mixing Bowl – I like a variety of mixing bowls and prep bowls and this set has them all.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Check out more of our favorite gourmet burger recipes:
Steakhouse Smoky Barbecue Beer Burgers with Caramelized Beer Onions
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 1/2 pounds lean ground beef, about 80% lean
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons spicy Montreal steak seasoning
- 12 ounce bottle dark beer, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- 6 ounces KC Masterpiece Smoky Bourbon Barbecue Sauce, or your favorite
- 6 hamburger buns
- 6 slices of cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Warm a 10” skillet over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, slice onion. Add butter and onion to skillet. Sprinkle with sugar. Stir to combine. Stir occasionally until onions start to brown, about 6 minutes.
- Preheat grill to high.
- While onions are cooking, combine beef, garlic, paprika, cumin, steak seasoning, Worcestershire sauce and 4 ounces of beer in a large mixing bowl. Mix to combine. Portion beef mixture and form into patties slightly larger than your bun. Make a slight indentation in the center of the burger on one side to prevent it from doming up in the center. The indentation will rise as your burger cooks. Set aside.
- Pour remaining beer into skillet with onions. Stir to combine, cover and cook for 15 minutes, or until beer evaporates.
- Brush burgers with olive oil and lightly sprinkle them with salt.
- Place burgers on grill with the indentation side facing up. Close lid and cook for 3 minutes. Flip, brush with barbecue sauce and grill for 3 minutes on the other side. Toast buns on grill.
- Assemble burger. Spread 1 tablespoon mayo on each bottom bun. Add lettuce, burger, cheese, caramelized onion and remaining barbecue sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.