S’mores Cookies are loaded with all the flavors of the classic treat — without the mess. Bake up a batch of soft, extra gooey chocolate marshmallow cookies in just 30 minutes!
Start with a sweet homemade cookie dough flavored with cocoa and speckled with chocolate chunks to create an indulgent base.
Then, load it up with melted marshmallows, graham cracker crumbs, and Hershey’s pieces — perfection!
Not only are chocolate s’mores cookies a great make-ahead option for parties and get-togethers, but they can be wrapped up for gift baskets and bake sales as well.
Or, skip the open flame and make traditional smores in the air fryer!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Unsalted Butter – Different brands can contain different amounts of salt, so this gives you better control over your s’mores cookies recipe.
If salted sticks are all you have on hand, reduce the added salt to 1/4 teaspoon.
- Sugar – Use a mix of white granulated sugar and brown sugar for extra moisture and a touch of caramel flavor.
You can use all white sugar if needed, but the marshmallow cookies won’t come out as soft.
- Chocolate – You’ll need chocolate chunks inside the dough, plus Hershey’s rectangles to press into the tops of the s’mores cookies.
Semi-sweet chips will work in a pinch, but they don’t melt quite the same as the chunks. Instead, chop up a good bar of baking chocolate into smaller pieces!
Tips for Making Marshmallow Cookies with Chocolate
- Bring cold ingredients to room temperature first.
Let the butter and egg sit out on the counter while you preheat the oven and prep the s’mores cookie toppings.
Not only will warm eggs and softened butter blend easier with the other ingredients, but you’ll get a better rise in your chocolate s’mores cookies.
- Need to soften butter quickly?
Fill a tall glass with hot water and dump it back out. Stand the stick of butter on its end, then place the hot glass upside down over the top.
Let it sit for a couple of minutes, and you’re good to go!
- Add the marshmallows last.
If you mix them into the dough, the s’mores cookies won’t bake right. Be sure to press them into the center just before they go into the oven.
Still had a blowout? Reshape the marshmallow cookies with a round cookie cutter! Move it around in small circles so the sides tap the edges back into place.
- Make your own graham cracker crumbs.
Simply pulse a couple of graham cracker sheets in a food processor until you get a sandy consistency.
Or, place them in a sealed Ziploc bag and crush with a rolling pin!
S’mores Cookies Recipe FAQ
Once the dough is mixed, you can cover the bowl and refrigerate it until you’re ready to scoop and bake later that day.
Any longer and you’ll want to tightly wrap the dough in plastic wrap so it doesn’t dry out. Unbaked cookie dough will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Since we’re just using a sprinkle of crumbs over the top, you’ll want another sandy-textured ingredient.
Try crushed pretzels or Ritz crackers for a salty touch, or use fine cookie crumbs to make them extra sweet.
You bet! One batch makes about a dozen and a half treats, so feel free to double or triple the amounts if you’ll need more than that.
Storing and Freezing Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
Transfer s’mores cookies to an airtight container and store at room temperature for 3 to 5 days.
Avoid refrigerating, or the tops will harden — making it difficult to bite into each treat.
You can also freeze the unbaked dough for later, but leave out the marshmallows or they’ll become rock hard.
Also, scoop out the dough for your chocolate s’mores cookies before freezing so it thaws faster.
Soften dough rounds in the refrigerator overnight, then press the marshmallows into the center and bake as directed.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Cookie Recipes
Chocolatey S’mores Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 3 Hershey bars
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs, for garnishing
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter, white sugar, and brown sugar together in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix well.
- In a mixing bowl, use a fork or whisk to combine flour, baking cocoa, baking soda, and salt and then add the dry mixture to the wet mixture.
- Fold in chocolate chunks.
- Using a cookie scoop, create 2 tablespoon cookie dough balls and place them about 2” apart on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Press 3 marshmallows into the center of each cookie dough ball and bake for 9-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add 3-6 more marshmallows and use them to spread the melted marshmallows around the top of the cookie.
- Place a piece of chocolate on top of the marshmallows and sprinkle with crushed graham crackers.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published September 2021, updated and republished September 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.