Slow cooker enchilada casserole combines shredded chicken, green chilis, olives, and cheese in a spicy, savory sauce. Make it for dinner tonight!
This green chili chicken casserole is an extremely simple recipe that will still rock your taste buds!
It’s perfect for those hectic nights where you’re in the mood for a hearty meal without putting in all the work to make it.
If you’re craving a full spread, start off with some crispy Southwestern eggrolls! After you plate up some of this flavorful slow cooker enchilada casserole, finish off the meal with some delectable homemade churros.
Crockpot meals are my absolute go-to when I am exceptionally busy. There’s nothing worse than having to clean a pile of dishes after running around all day!
Slow Cooker Enchilada Casserole – Tips and Tricks
- Sauce options: Whether you use your favorite store bought enchilada sauce or homemade, this dish is sure to turn out fantastic!
- Cheese please! Use any type of cheese you like – Cheddar Jack or a Mexican blend would be great. You can also top the final product with some cotija cheese!
- Spice it up. Adding a few dashes of hot sauce, spicy seasoning, or diced jalapenos is a great way to crank up the heat.
- Tip for easy shredding: If you don’t mind the extra dishes, you can toss the cooked breast meat into a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
Run it for about a minute, and you’ll have perfect shreds in no time!
While this green chili chicken casserole can easily be a meal on it’s own, you can always amp it up with toppings! Add some sour cream, sliced avocado, jalapenos, or whatever else you can think of.
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
Do I need to cook chicken before putting it into the slow cooker?
No, you don’t! According to the USDA, it’s perfectly safe to start your recipe with raw meat. Place it as close to the bottom of the pot as you can so it cooks faster.
However, you should never use frozen poultry in the crockpot since it will remain at unsafe temperatures for too long.
Can I use different meats for slow cooker enchilada casserole?
Absolutely! This recipe would taste just as delicious if you decide to use turkey, pork, or even beef.
Just keep in mind that different meats may call for different cooking times. Always be sure they are cooked to the correct internal temperature so you know that they are safe and ready to eat!
How do I store and reheat leftovers?
Allow the dish to cool, then transfer whatever is left of your green chili chicken casserole into an airtight container. It will keep for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator and up to 3 months in the freezer!
Reheat in the microwave or oven until warmed through. If frozen, thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Other Easy Slow Cooker Recipes
Slow Cooker Enchilada Casserole
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 29.2 ounce jar enchilada sauce
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 12 ounces grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 15 corn tortillas, torn or cut into pieces
- sliced olives, drained
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- Place chicken breasts in a single layer across the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Pour enchilada sauce and green chiles over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours. Shred the chicken apart with two forks and stir to distribute sauce throughout the chicken.
- Stir in about half of the cheddar cheese and the corn tortilla pieces (you can also stir in sliced olives if desired).
- Top the mixture with the remaining cheese and sprinkle with olives.
- Continue cooking on HIGH heat for one additional hour, until cheese is melted across the top, tortillas are cooked, and casserole is beginning to brown around the edges.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and serve.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published December 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.