Crockpot Chicken Fajitas + Video
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Crockpot Chicken Fajitas combine seasoned meat with fresh peppers, tomatoes, and onion for one tasty meal. Make some for dinner or a game day feast!
Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
The best part of this slow cooker chicken fajitas recipe is that you can set it and forget it!
Just layer everything and turn it on — when you come back, you’ll have a delicious meal waiting for you.
Want more hands-off dinner options? Try this incredible taco soup or my cheater pork carnitas.
I also have an easy pasta salad recipe with similar fajita flavors, but featuring tender strips of steak instead of poultry.
Prepare it fresh, or make it the day before to save some time!
Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas – Tips and Tricks
- Wear gloves. The oil in jalapenos and other spicy peppers can cause irritations if spread to your face.
Put on some disposable gloves when handling the peppers and remove them before moving on to the rest of your prep.
- Leave it all day! The longer the meat cooks, the more tender it becomes.
Set it to low in the morning, and you’ll have delicious shredded chicken fajitas by dinnertime.
- Use New Mexico chile powder. It has an earthy, sweet flavor and subtle, spicy heat for a truly authentic flavor.
Find it in the international aisle in bulk bags or online here.
- Want some sauce? Once the crock pot fajitas are cooked, drain the liquid from the crockpot into a saucepan on the stove.
Simmer over medium-low heat until thickened, then drizzle over your crock pot chicken fajitas!
What to Serve with Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
Pile everything onto warm tortillas and top with all of your favorites — sour cream, guacamole, shredded cheese, and salsa!
Add a side of beans and rice to round out your plate, or make a big bowl of my street corn salad for a fresh alternative.
You can also stretch leftover crock pot chicken fajitas with this one pot pasta recipe! Skip to step 3 and have another meal on the table in 20 minutes!
Crockpot Chicken Fajitas FAQs
Yes, though I highly recommend homemade because the flavors are so much more intense!
To achieve the same amount of flavor, you will need 1 ½ to 2 packets of your favorite taco seasoning.
Shredded chicken fajitas will keep for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container. Keep in mind that the veggies will continue to soften the longer they sit.
Reheat the crock pot fajitas mixture in the microwave or on the stove before spooning it into warm tortillas.
Absolutely! You’ll need a 6 or 7-quart crockpot, so everything fits, but it’s the perfect recipe for feeding a crowd.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Other Easy Crock Pot Recipes
Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas + Video
- 3 bell peppers, sliced (I used red, orange and yellow)
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 2 seeded and deveined jalapenos, diced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 1/2 – 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half (longways)
- 3 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lime
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon New Mexico chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Add half of the peppers, onions, jalapenos and tomatoes to the bottom of a 5 quart slow cooker.
- Layer chicken on top of vegetables. Sprinkle 1/2 of taco seasoning over chicken breasts and flip them over. Season the other side with the remaining 1/2 of seasoning.
- Add garlic and remaining jalepenos on top of chicken. Then add remaining vegetables. Squeeze lime juice over top. Cover and cook on high 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and slice into strips. Return to slow cooker and mix with tongs. Allow to simmer in juices for 10 minutes.
- You can drain extra liquid from slow cooker or transfer liquid to a saucepan and cook until reduce and use as a sauce on your fajitas.
- Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published November 2015, updated and republished February 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for your support; it allows us to keep creating new recipes.
I am making the chili for dinner tonight. I will let you know how my family liked it. Also, would it be possible to add at the end of each recipe what the calories, fat, sodium, etc. are? Thanks! C. Rizzico
thumbs down. no "click for recipe" actally shows a recipe.
It's there, you just have to scroll down the page to get to it. Enjoy!
Oh, I love chicken dishes. In fact, I just made some Chicken Cacciatore the other day, following this recipe I found on the internet last week. It was divine!
Can't wait to try making these Chicken Fajitas next. Thanks for sharing!
I think a couple of canned chipotles would be great in this!
Hey there! Your recipe is really nice. I love how easy it is to prepare, I'm dying to try it. Thank you for posting! =D
Do You add any liquid at all to the crock pot?
The chicken in these fajitas turned out so moist and delicious, I could not believe it. These were by far the best fajitas I have made to date, and I think this will be a lunch special in my house now!