Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore is a rustic Italian dish with braised flavorful bone-in chicken slow cooked in a luscious tomato sauce and aromatic vegetables that will change your life!
Hi! We’re Kat & Melinda from Home. Made. Interest. where we’re all about simple recipes and easy entertaining. We’re back today to share on of our favorite slow cooker recipes with you!
This easy Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore is all about the sauce. It starts with a combination of diced tomatoes and crushed tomatoes, then you add a mix of green and red peppers, onions, olives, mushrooms, and garlic. All of that simmers, along with chicken thighs, for 4-6 hours in your slow cooker and when it is done you have a delicious sauce and perfectly tender braised chicken that has taken on the flavors of that sauce. Serve it over some creamy mashed potatoes or polenta, rice, or pasta and you have a complete meal!
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore is one of my all-time favorite winter comfort foods. One of the best things about it is that it only gets better with time. That means you can make it on a Sunday and then have it for dinner Monday night and it will taste even better. It’s makes getting dinner on the table during the week even easier!
HELPFUL TIPS TO MAKE SLOW COOKER CHICKEN CACCIATORE:
- You can substitute chicken breasts for chicken thighs.
- If you use skinless breasts or thighs you can skip the browning step.
- Save time by chopping all of your vegetables up the night before so all you have to do is throw everything in the slow cooker in the morning.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE SLOW COOKER CHICKEN CACCIATORE:
- Slow Cooker – One of my favorite kitchen tools! It’s the easiest way to cook all of that comfort food we love so much!
- Cast iron skillet – perfect for frying!
- Ladle – You’re going to want a big ladle to serve up all of that amazing sauce!
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Check out more of our favorite slow cooker recipes:
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
- 2 chicken drumsticks, bone in, skin on
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup Kalamata olives
- 2 cups baby bella mushrooms, sliced (aka crimini)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 14.5 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken stock
- Mix 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper and sprinkle over the chicken.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet (I love using cast iron) over medium-high heat. Place about 1/2 of the chicken pieces in the skillet skin side down. Cook until browned, about 3 minutes each side. Place browned chicken in the slow cooker while you cook the remaining chicken. Repeat.
- Meanwhile: add onions, peppers, olives, mushrooms, garlic, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, chicken stock, and remaining 1/2 salt to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 5 hours.
- Serve over polenta, mashed potatoes, pasta, or rice and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.