Air fryer churros are cooked to golden perfection and coated in cinnamon sugar. Enjoy this delicious treat without the mess of deep frying!
These come out just as airy and crisp as the traditional version without needing thermometers or a big pot of oil.
For another sweet treat, use your countertop appliance to make these light and flaky donuts! Simply change up the frosting colors and sprinkles to match any season or celebration.
How To Make Air Fryer Churros
It’s much simpler than it seems, and you probably already have all of the ingredients you need!
Start with a simple homemade choux pastry, then pipe it straight into the basket in 3-inch segments. Use a pair of kitchen shears to snip as you go so the ends are flat and smooth instead of pointed.
Once the air fryer churros are done, coat them in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar and serve them warm!
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Tips and Tricks
- Chill the dough as needed. If your kitchen is particularly warm, you may want to pipe the dough onto a plate or sheet pan and refrigerate it for about 15 minutes first. This will help them hold their shape, and the chilled dough pieces can go straight into the basket before cooking.
- Work in batches. Don’t overcrowd the basket or the air fryer churros won’t come out as crisp. Also, leave enough space for them to expand as they cook.
- Don’t forget to spray! A spritz of nonstick spray helps these crisp up and get that gorgeous golden brown color on the outside.
- Immediately coat in cinnamon sugar. The heat will help the mixture stick better to the surface.
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
What if I don’t have a piping tip?
Not a problem! While this gives the air fried churros their classic shape, they will taste just as delicious without the ridges.
Can I save leftover air fryer churros?
While they are perfectly safe for a few days in a sealed container, they just won’t taste as good as when they are fresh.
If you know you won’t be able to eat them all right away, split the dough in half or quarters and cook off just what you need.
Wrap the rest tightly in plastic and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or the freezer for up to 3 months. Then, allow the dough to come to room temperature before piping so it’s easier to handle.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Air Fryer Churros
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 1 stick, cut into tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
cinnamon sugar coating
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- chocolate sauce
- caramel sauce
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, milk, butter and 1 tablespoon sugar
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently
- Remove from the heat and stir in the flour with a wooden spoon until completely incorporated
- Return saucepan back to the heat and stir constantly for 2 minutes until dough comes together in a smooth ball
- Transfer dough to large mixing bowl
- Beat with an electric mixer until fluffy, this will cool the dough so the eggs don’t cook
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla extract
- Slowly add egg mixture, beating after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl
- Fit a disposable pastry bag with a #1M open star decorating tip
- Then add dough to bag
- Pipe dough directly into air fryer basket and cut end with scissors
- Spray churros with non-stick cooking spray
- Cook at 375 degrees for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown
- While churros are cooking, combine cinnamon sugar mixture in a medium bowl
- Remove churros from air fryer, and add to cinnamon sugar mixture, toss to coat and set on baking rack to cool
- Serve immediately with chocolate sauce or caramel sauce
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published April 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.