Our Favorite Summer Slaw
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Our summer slaw is perfectly light and flavorful with crisp cabbage and a rainbow of veggies. This is an easy recipe for no mayo coleslaw!
Our Favorite Summer Slaw
I am so happy to share with you a favorite side dish recipe seen during Season 12 of The Biggest Loser! This amazing Summer Slaw recipe was prepared during a cooking challenge by the Black Team.
When I saw it, I knew I wanted the recipe, and I am very excited to be sharing it with you.
I love this no mayo coleslaw! I make a double batch of the vinegar coleslaw dressing every time, because it’s a fantastic dressing for a garden salad too.
There is just enough creaminess from the sour cream to keep it from being a vinaigrette, with the perfect tang from the vinegar, and warm nuttiness from the sesame oil. It is a home run!!!
Although this is a vinegar slaw, you can use mayonnaise or Greek yogurt to replace the small amount of sour cream in the dressing.
Tips for No Mayo Coleslaw
- Make a double batch of vinegar coleslaw dressing. Trust me, it is so good you will find plenty of other things to put it on.
- Store the dressing separate from the cabbage salad. Wait until you are ready to serve to toss the coleslaw. This helps prevent it from becoming too soggy. I like to keep the dressing in a mason jar.
Vinegar based coleslaw recipes are more popular in southern parts of the U.S. So, I like to serve no mayo coleslaw with my favorite southern foods!
It tastes fabulous alongside Dr Pepper Pulled Pork with sides of baked beans, buttermilk cornbread and a Crispy Chick Fil A Chicken Sandwich!!
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Do you ❤️ TSRI? Don’t miss another recipe!
Subscribe to The Slow Roasted Italian by email to receive new recipes in your inbox!!
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Other Summer Salad Recipes
Summer Slaw (No Mayo Coleslaw)
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 English cucumber, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar snap peas, cut on the diagonal
- 1 pint Sunburst tomatoes, sliced into halves
Vinegar Coleslaw Dressing
- 2 tablespoons sour cream , or plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the vinegar, sesame oil, sour cream and salt and pepper. Whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, toss the cabbages, peppers, peas, cucumber, and tomatoes.
- If serving immediately toss with dressing. Otherwise, dress the slaw salad right before serving.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published April 2012. Updated and republished July 2022.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.
You weren't kidding. This is gorgeous! I love all the colors and I bet Sean would especially love those flavors. Nice job!
what nice look this!!
Fantastic, healthy and delicious – full of flavor and color!
it might be slimmer but boy does it still look delicious!
Oh I love the look of this salad! And it is so healthy and delicious!
Can you use apple cider vinegar in place of red wine vinegar an what can you use in place of the sesame oil
This is so good, and I love that there’s no mayo in it. Love having this recipe on hand during the summer.