Pretzel Dogs feature all-beef dogs baked inside of soft pretzel hot dog buns. Ready in just 35 minutes, so you can make this pretzel dog recipe any night!
This is a recipe that is perfect for dinner, but even better for serving as game day snacks. Soft pretzels and beer with cheesy hot dogs are perfect party food, and it doesn’t get much better than having them all together in one bite!
Some of our other favorite pretzel recipes are perfect party food, too.
Jalapeño Popper Bread Bombs are filled with cream cheese and spicy jalapeno. The soft bread on the outside makes them irresistible.
If all you’re looking for is a soft pretzel to dip into cheese sauce, make the Best Ever Soft Pretzel Bites. Then, make a batch of beer cheese sauce to dip them in!
Simple Pretzel Dogs
These baked hot dogs are so much tastier than anything you can buy pre-made. Plus, they are so much fun to make, especially if you get your kids to help you.
You don’t even need a stand mixer. Because beer and pretzels go so well together, we use beer as the liquid in the dough for the pretzel dog buns! It adds a little punch of flavor and oh boy, its spectacular!
Be sure to watch the video! Look for it in the recipe card, at the bottom of this post.
You can use organic, all beef, nitrate-free, sausages, or whatever makes you happy. I am going to make these in mini size next time which will make for the perfect appetizer.
If you would like suggestions on alternatives for the beer, see the recipe notes below. Either way, you and your family are going to go nuts over these!
Making Pretzel Hot Dog Buns without a Stand Mixer
Mixing the dough by hand
You can mix the dough by hand if you do not have a stand mixer.
Just add beer, yeast, and honey to a large mixing bowl. Once the yeast blooms, stir in the salt and the flour, then use a spoon to combine everything.
Then, turn the dough out onto a floured countertop and knead for 3-5 minutes, or until the dough is no longer sticky.
After that, simply proceed with the remaining instructions as written in the recipe card below!
Tips and Notes for the Best Pretzel Dogs
- Make sure the beer is warm.
Microwave the beer in a glass microwave-safe measuring cup for 15 seconds at a time. For the yeast to activate, the beer should be 110-120°F.
- Need a substitute for beer?
You can substitute milk or water for the beer. I prefer Blue Moon beer in this recipe, but you can use whatever you have on hand.
- Want to make pretzel dogs ahead of time?
This is a great make-ahead recipe, and they freeze well too!
When you’re ready to serve them, thaw in the fridge, then pop them in a 350°F oven until warm, about 5-8 minutes.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Easy Pretzel Recipes
Simple Pretzel Dogs + Video
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 12 ounces warmed beer, 110°-120°F* see notes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg
- coarse salt, or pretzel salt
- 8 hot dogs
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Pour beer into the bowl of a stand mixer (see cooks note if you do not have a stand mixer), sprinkle yeast over top, add honey and stir. Allow yeast to bloom for 5-10 minutes. Once it is nice and foamy, it is ready.
- Fill an 8-quart pot with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. In a small bowl beat egg and 2 tablespoons water with a fork. Set aside. Wash a section of countertop for rolling out dough. Do not flour it or it will be harder to roll out the dough.
- Add flour and salt to mixer. Knead for about 3 minutes until the dough comes together in one ball. Add more flour a tablespoon at a time as needed, if the bread is too sticky to come together. The dough should be tacky when you pull it out of the mixer, not sticky.
- Place dough on countertop and form dough into a ball.
- We are going to cut this ball into 8 (somewhat) even pieces. First, quarter the ball of dough. Then cut each quarter in half. Roll each piece into a 12” strand.
- Place the end of the dough strand on the end of the hot dog pinching the end together, and then wrap it around the dog until all of the dough is wrapped around the dog. Pinch the ends so they stay together.
- Carefully, add baking soda to boiling water. USE CAUTION: IT WILL BUBBLE UP. Place hot dogs into boiling water about 3 at a time. Remove with a slotted spoon after 30 seconds. Place on parchment paper to cool and repeat until all hot dogs have been boiled.
- Arrange all pretzel dogs on parchment so they are not touching. Brush eggwash onto each one and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes until the tops are browned.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published April 2014.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.