Nutella Cake is a chocolate lover’s dream. This decadent Nutella dessert puts the beloved chocolate and hazelnut flavors of Nutella into delicious mini cakes that you can enjoy with your favorite toppings. Each bite of this soft, chocolatey cake is slightly gooey, perfectly sweet, and absolutely scrumptious!
Nutella is a sweet chocolate hazelnut spread that can be enjoyed in so many ways: on toast or waffles, in desserts, or even with a spoon!
My recipe for Nutella cake makes perfect individual cakes that are moist and bursting with chocolatey, nutty flavor.
This cake recipe is so easy to make – you’ll only need 5 minutes of prep time, and the whole dessert will be ready to serve in just 30 minutes!
And you’ll love that this cake has no added sugar and isn’t overly sweet. Nutella will add all the sweetness that you need.
How to Make Nutella Cake: Step-by-Step Instructions
This recipe is easy as can be and only requires 4 ingredients.
It’s the perfect dessert to make on a busy weeknight, or to throw together for a party if you don’t have a ton of time on hand.
- Mix Ingredients. Mix the Nutella, milk, flour, and baking powder together until smooth and fully combined.
- Divide Into Ramekins. Make sure that each ramekin has the same amount of batter so that each cake cooks evenly.
You’ll want to add about 5 tablespoons of batter to each.
- Bake to Desired Consistency. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
You’ll get softer, gooier cakes if you bake closer to 20 minutes, and slightly firmer cakes if you bake closer to 25 minutes.
But keep in mind that the center of your dessert will remain slightly gooey either way.
These soft set cakes will rise and fall as they bake, but should have a final consistency that’s somewhere between pudding and a regular cake.
- Add Optional Toppings. They are not only fun and delicious but also make your presentation even more beautiful!
I love this Nutella cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Chocolate Hazelnut Cake Ingredient Notes
- Nutella – This chocolate hazelnut spread is made from sugar, hazelnuts, cocoa, milk powder, and soy lecithin.
- Milk – Whole milk is best for this recipe because of how rich and creamy it is.
- Flour – Use all-purpose flour to make your cake batter.
- Baking Powder – This ingredient is essential to ensure that your cakes turn out light and fluffy instead of dense.
Tips and Tricks for Mini Cakes
- Preheat Your Oven. Preheating to 350°F before you prep your ingredients will save you a few minutes.
Your prep time will be fast, so be ready to pop the cakes into the oven.
- Eliminate Clumps. You can use a fine mesh sieve to eliminate any clumps as you combine the flour into your batter.
This will give you soft batter and cakes that turn out with a nice smooth texture.
- Enjoy With Toppings. These cakes are easy to personalize to your own liking, so feel free to add your favorite toppings!
Try some powdered sugar, fresh fruit, whipped cream, or caramel sauce.
Kitchen Tools You Will Need
- Large Mixing Bowl – I like to have a variety of sizes on hand, and this set has them all.
- Electric Hand Mixer – I’ve had this one in my kitchen forever and it still works beautifully.
- Ramekins – These are perfect for baking mini cakes.
- Baking Sheet – Spread your ramekins out over a baking sheet so that you can easily pop them in and out of the oven.
Nutella Cake FAQ
Nope! This recipe will work with any generic chocolate hazelnut spread. But I recommend using Nutella because you can easily find this popular product in most grocery stores.
Yes, but keep in mind that you will need to make adjustments to your baking time if you change the size.
I don’t recommend using ramekins that are smaller than the 8-ounce size that I used, otherwise you’ll need to reduce the amount of batter too.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Easy Cake Recipes
Mini Nutella Cake
- 1 1/3 cups Nutella, or other chocolate-hazelnut spread
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. and place 4 ungreased 8-ounce ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Using an electric hand mixer on high speed, mix ingredients to combine.
- Evenly distribute the batter into the ramekins, about 5 tablespoons (½ cup plus 1 tablespoon) per ramekin.
- Place the pan of mini cakes in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. The cakes will rise up and then fall, and the center will remain slightly gooey – this is expected.
- Top with powdered sugar, whipped cream, ice cream, or fruit if desired.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published December 2022
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.